Patch: Doc apache2 config changes

Maik Holme

Mar 27, 2021, 1:10:44 PM3/27/21
to proso...@googlegroups.com
Hi, this is my first try to contribute something.
A patch for consistency in the docs and another to add the sample config for reverse proxys to the doc/http.
I read most of https://documentation.divio.com/
And it seems a lot of the prosody doc are How-to guides. Some are Reference guides with some intermixing.
I suppose it will be tough to rewrite everything, but a slow transition could be possible maybe.

What's maybe missing most is a tutorial in the "Getting Started" section. It seems lots of people follow some step by step guide from external sites and get outdated ir strange setup's.
Would you like such tutorial with all the steps to setup prosody with some community modules and a reverse proxy, so that people can learn about that while setting up prosody for their first time?
--
Menel
example-config-reverse-proxy-http.md.patch

Maik Holme

Mar 27, 2021, 1:10:44 PM3/27/21
---------------------------
I read most of https://documentation.divio.com/
And it seems a lot of the prosody doc are How-to guides. Some are Reference guides with some intermixing.
I suppose it will be tough to rewrite everything, but a slow transition could be possible maybe.

What's maybe missing most is a tutorial in the "Getting Started" section. It seems lots of people follow some step by step guide from external sites and get outdated ir strange setup's.
Would you like such tutorial with all the steps to setup prosody with some community modules and a reverse proxy, so that people can learn about that while setting up prosody for their first time?

--
Maik Holme (Menel)

Maik Holme

Mar 27, 2021, 1:10:44 PM3/27/21
to proso...@googlegroups.com

The actual files...
example-config-reverse-proxy-http.md.patch
update-code-for-apache2-config.patch

Kim Alvefur

Mar 30, 2021, 8:05:48 AM3/30/21
to proso...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, Mar 27, 2021 at 03:01:02PM +0100, Maik Holme wrote:
>Hi, this is my first try to contribute something.
>A patch for consistency in the docs and another to add the sample config for reverse proxys to the doc/http.

Thanks, I've imported them locally for the next time I look at the docs.

>I read most of https://documentation.divio.com/
>And it seems a lot of the prosody doc are How-to guides. Some are Reference guides with some intermixing.
>I suppose it will be tough to rewrite everything, but a slow transition could be possible maybe.

Rewriting from scratch is not something that should be taken lightly, at
least when it comes to software. Untangling the mixed text and
restructuring it seems like it could help a lot.

>What's maybe missing most is a tutorial in the "Getting Started" section. It seems lots of people follow some step by step guide from external sites and get outdated ir strange setup's.
>Would you like such tutorial with all the steps to setup prosody with some community modules and a reverse proxy, so that people can learn about that while setting up prosody for their first time?

Go for it. The thing most of those are really missing is a review step.

Reminds me that documentation for the new plugin installer still needs
to be written. That has potential for greatly simplifying the setup.

--
Regards,
Kim "Zash" Alvefur