Mumbai’s small fishing community is relieved after a $2 billion road is stalled

Barun

Aug 14, 2019, 10:49:53 AM8/14/19
to Property Rights in India
“We are happy that the court has stayed the work on this project. Now, we are hoping that proper justice is done to us and our only means of livelihood for generations is not taken away from us,” said Moreshwar Namdeo Koli.

The 35-kilometre-long road along Mumbai’s western coast threatens the livelihood of the fishermen as it would block their access to the sea and deplete the fish stock that they have been dependent on for decades.

A temporary relief of sorts for the community, however, came on July 16, when the Bombay High Court passed an order (pdf) to stop the ongoing work on the coastal road with immediate effect as the environment clearances taken were not in accordance with the requisite procedures. The court directed the project authorities to seek appropriate environment clearance along with wildlife clearance. The state government and the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) have appealed in the Supreme Court against the high court’s order. The case is now pending in the apex court.

https://qz.com/india/1687135/mumbais-koli-fishermen-relieved-as-coastal-road-project-stalled/