The hardware required of Promethues

Mạnh Nguyễn Tiến

Sep 17, 2018, 3:32:19 AM9/17/18
to Prometheus Users
Dear All,
I am calculating the hardware requirement of Prometheus. Just minimum hardware requirements. I found some information in this website: https://prometheus.atlas-sys.com/display/Ares44/Server+Hardware+and+Software+Requirements. But I don't know that it is for how many node and how many metric and sample. Please help me. Thanks.

Ben Kochie

Sep 17, 2018, 11:53:43 AM9/17/18
to tienma...@gmail.com, Prometheus Users
I don't think that link has anything to do with Prometheus. :)

For the most part, you need to plan for about 8kb of memory per metric you want to monitor.  A typical node_exporter will expose about 500 metrics.

100 * 500 * 8kb = 390MiB of memory.

There's some minimum memory use around 100-150MB last I looked.

On Mon, Sep 17, 2018 at 9:32 AM Mạnh Nguyễn Tiến <tienma...@gmail.com> wrote:
Dear All,
I am calculating the hardware requirement of Prometheus. Just minimum hardware requirements. I found some information in this website: https://prometheus.atlas-sys.com/display/Ares44/Server+Hardware+and+Software+Requirements. But I don't know that it is for how many node and how many metric and sample. Please help me. Thanks.

Ben Kochie

Sep 18, 2018, 3:31:40 AM9/18/18
to Mạnh Nguyễn Tiến, Prometheus Users
Sorry, I should have been more clear. I menat to say 390 + 150, so a total of 540MB.

These are just estimates, as it depends a lot on the query load, recording rules, scrape interval.

On Tue, Sep 18, 2018 at 5:11 AM Mạnh Nguyễn Tiến <tienma...@gmail.com> wrote:
Why the ressult is 390MB, but 150MB memory minimun are requied by system.
Best regards,
Vào Th 3, 18 thg 9 2018 lúc 04:32 Ben Kochie <sup...@gmail.com> đã viết:
Yes, 100 is the number of nodes, sorry I thought I had mentioned that.

Prometheus is a polling system, the node_exporter, and everything else, passively listen on http for Prometheus to come and collect data.

This allows for easy high availability and functional sharding. The exporters don't need to be re-configured for changes in monitoring systems.

On Mon, Sep 17, 2018 at 7:09 PM Mạnh Nguyễn Tiến <tienma...@gmail.com> wrote:
Thank you so much. Can you describle the value "100" (100*500*8kb). Is it number of node?. Btw, node_exporter is the node which will send metric to Promethues server node?

Vào Th 2, 17 thg 9 2018 lúc 22:53 Ben Kochie <sup...@gmail.com> đã viết:
--
Nguyen Tien Manh
Hanoi University of Science and Technology