Enable auto merge

Julien Pivotto

Dec 16, 2020, 3:33:12 PM12/16/20
to prometheus-developers

Dear developers,

Can we enable the new github feature, auto-merge, in prometheus
repositories?

It waits for everything to be green before merging.

--
Julien Pivotto
@roidelapluie

Brian Brazil

Dec 16, 2020, 3:38:25 PM12/16/20
to prometheus-developers
On Wed, 16 Dec 2020 at 20:33, Julien Pivotto <roidel...@prometheus.io> wrote:

Dear developers,

Can we enable the new github feature, auto-merge, in prometheus
repositories?

It waits for everything to be green before merging.

I'd rather not have things merging in the background, I've no issues with explicit merging.

Bjoern Rabenstein

Dec 22, 2020, 10:59:38 AM12/22/20
to prometheus-developers
On 16.12.20 21:33, Julien Pivotto wrote:

> Can we enable the new github feature, auto-merge, in prometheus
> repositories?
>
> It waits for everything to be green before merging.

Auto-merge assumes that all tests green and one valid approval means
"please merge". But I don't think that's true. I often approve a PR to
express "looks good to me but others might still chime in". That could
be the maintainer of the repo (or some other person specifically
qualified to review the PR). Those people should have the final call.

Or in other words: Having approval and merge as separate
human-initiated steps models the semantics just right, IMHO.

--
Björn Rabenstein
[PGP-ID] 0x851C3DA17D748D03

Stuart Clark

Dec 22, 2020, 11:08:10 AM12/22/20
to Bjoern Rabenstein, prometheus-developers
On 22/12/2020 15:59, Bjoern Rabenstein wrote:
> On 16.12.20 21:33, Julien Pivotto wrote:
>> Can we enable the new github feature, auto-merge, in prometheus
>> repositories?
>>
>> It waits for everything to be green before merging.
> Auto-merge assumes that all tests green and one valid approval means
> "please merge". But I don't think that's true. I often approve a PR to
> express "looks good to me but others might still chime in". That could
> be the maintainer of the repo (or some other person specifically
> qualified to review the PR). Those people should have the final call.
>
> Or in other words: Having approval and merge as separate
> human-initiated steps models the semantics just right, IMHO.

From a technical perspective someone authorised approving a PR does
mean it can be merged (anyone with write permissions can now click the
merge button from that point onwards without any additional review). The
requirement for a specific set of people can be indicated via CODEOWNERS
or multiple people via the branch permissions settings.

However we might not be "correctly" modelling what we actually want in
the various settings, so GitHub could incorrectly merge something as
things currently stand.

Julien Pivotto

Dec 22, 2020, 11:17:52 AM12/22/20
to Bjoern Rabenstein, prometheus-developers
Approve and auto merge are different. Auto merge is another value of the merge button, next to squash etc.

Julien Pivotto

Dec 22, 2020, 11:28:32 AM12/22/20
to Bjoern Rabenstein, prometheus-developers
So, to clarify, this is the equivalent to merge, just it wait for green ci.

Stuart Clark

Dec 22, 2020, 11:45:59 AM12/22/20
to prometheus...@googlegroups.com, Julien Pivotto, Bjoern Rabenstein, prometheus-developers
But it does rely on approval meaning "good to merge", rather than "only when someone else approves".

Julien Pivotto

Dec 22, 2020, 11:47:01 AM12/22/20
to Stuart Clark, Prometheus Developers, Bjoern Rabenstein
Actually on Prometheus it would not rely on it at all unless on release branches.

Bjoern Rabenstein

Dec 22, 2020, 12:06:51 PM12/22/20
to Julien Pivotto, prometheus-developers
On 22.12.20 17:17, Julien Pivotto wrote:
> Approve and auto merge are different. Auto merge is another value of the merge
> button, next to squash etc.

OK, that's different then. I have no objections to an additional
button that essentially says "merge this once the tests have passed,
and, if applicable, the necessary approval has been given".

(There are too many auto-merge scripts and actions floating around.)

Levi Harrison

Nov 16, 2021, 5:17:11 PM11/16/21
to Prometheus Developers
Hi all,

Recently, I've come across a few instances where auto-merge would have been helpful and was wondering if consensus had been reached here.

Thanks,
Levi

Bjoern Rabenstein

Nov 22, 2021, 6:43:32 AM11/22/21
to Levi Harrison, Prometheus Developers
On 16.11.21 14:17, Levi Harrison wrote:

> Recently, I've come across a few instances where auto-merge would have been
> helpful and was wondering if consensus had been reached here.

My impression was that the discussion dwindled because it became
increasingly unclear what we are even discussing (the term
"auto-merge" seems to be heavily overloaded).

Perhaps you should precisely define what you are proposing when you
say "auto-merge" and then start a new discussion thread with that. Or
have a quick chat with your co-maintainer Julien (assuming you are
takling about enabling auto-merge for prometheus/prometheus) and then
directly call for a consensus.

Levi Harrison

Nov 25, 2021, 9:17:38 AM11/25/21
to Prometheus Developers
Sure, I'll open a new thread momentarily.