Call for maintainers: Exporter team

Ben Kochie

May 31, 2023, 8:24:22 AM5/31/23
to Prometheus Developers, Prometheus Team
Hey all,

We have a lot of exporter projects in both Prometheus and Prometheus-Community GitHub.

There's lots of backlog of things to do.
* Triage issues.
* Review PRs.
* Improve update automation.
* Make new releases.

I've been thinking about how to handle some of this workload and had the idea that we should have a maintainers team. We could use GitHub automatic PR assignment in order to help spread the workload out.

If you're interested, I've created this new team:

https://github.com/orgs/prometheus/teams/exporter-maintainers

Daniel Swarbrick

Jul 17, 2023, 7:06:14 PM7/17/23
to Prometheus Developers
Should that URL be accessible to anybody? I get 404...

Julius Volz

Jul 27, 2023, 3:51:33 PM7/27/23
to Daniel Swarbrick, Prometheus Developers
Ah it's not public, but it currently contains four members (Matthias Rampke, Julien Pivotto, Ben Kochie, Suraj Nath).

gitperr

Jan 15, 2024, 3:09:09 PMJan 15
to Prometheus Developers
Hey there,

I would like to contribute to the project in any way possible. Could I help somehow?

Currently, I have some MRs waiting for review/help in different parts of the project.
https://github.com/prometheus/golang-builder/pull/239
https://github.com/prometheus/node_exporter/pull/2833

Bjoern Rabenstein

Jan 17, 2024, 11:22:10 AMJan 17
to gitperr, Prometheus Developers
On 15.01.24 10:00, gitperr wrote:

> Currently, I have some MRs waiting for review/help in different parts of
> the project.
> https://github.com/prometheus/golang-builder/pull/239
> https://github.com/prometheus/node_exporter/pull/2833

Thanks for your contributions.

The first PR seems to be best reviewed by @SuperQ, whom you have
already mentioned in the PR. It probably fell through the cracks over
the holidays. I have assigned the PR to SuperQ, hoping he'll notice
that. (He should also be reading this mailing list. Last resort would
be to try to catch him on IRC or Slack. But let's give him a few
days.)

The second PR is still marked as a draft, which essentially signals
that you don't want a review yet. Marking the PR ready for review
should (ideally) get you a review soon. If you need some interactive
help to get the PR ready, it might be a good idea to try the developer
channels on IRC or Slack, or add an item to the Contributor Office
Hour agenda. All of this is described in more detail in the
"Contributing" section on https://prometheus.io/community/

Thanks again.
--
Björn Rabenstein
[PGP-ID] 0x851C3DA17D748D03

Matt Doughty

Jan 17, 2024, 11:28:59 AMJan 17
to Bjoern Rabenstein, gitperr, Prometheus Developers
I've gotten so much from prometheus that I would be happy to help, but
I haven't been involved. Just let me know if there is anything I can
do.

--Matt
> --

--Matt

Bjoern Rabenstein

Jan 25, 2024, 5:50:03 PMJan 25
to Matt Doughty, gitperr, Prometheus Developers
On 17.01.24 11:28, Matt Doughty wrote:
> I've gotten so much from prometheus that I would be happy to help, but
> I haven't been involved. Just let me know if there is anything I can
> do.

There is plenty to do.

The best is, as I like to say, if you "can scratch your own itch" -
work on something that you would find useful yourself.

Generally, you can look at the open issues in the various Prometheus
repos. Sometimes we tag good first issues as such (but less often than
we should). Avoid those tagged as "not as easy as it looks".