WUPJnews #379 - HIRSCH TO LIGHT ISRAELI INDEPENDENCE EVE TORCH ON MT. HERZL (and other news)

Dr. Philip Bliss

Apr 9, 2010, 2:21:43 AM4/9/10
to ProjeNews Google

WUPJheader
ISSUE #380    8 APRIL 2010  |   24 NISAN 5770
dotted line
CLICK TO DONATE

paypal make a donation button

Click to make a secure contribution.
EVENTS380UPCOMING EVENTS
Apr. 16-18, 2010
Liberal Judaism Biennial Weekend, England
Apr. 29-May 9,2010
 URJ Study Kallah, in conjunction with the Anita Saltz International Education Center, Jerusalem
May 14-16,2010
Biennial of the South African Union for Progressive Judaism, Durban
May 14-16,2010
Movement for Reform Judaism Biennial Conference, Manchester, UK
May 28-29,2010
Israel Movement for Progressive Judaism Biennial, Israel
Nov. 25-28,2010
Biennial conference of the Union for Progressive Judaism in Australia, Asia and New Zealand, Canberra, Australia
Feb. 7-13,2011
Connections 2011, San Francisco

Read more...

HIRSCHHirsch to light independence eve torch on Mt. Herzl.
Rabbi Richard G. Hirsh, the World Union's former long-time executive director and today its honorary life president, was one of 14 Israelis chosen to light the traditional torches at the evening ceremony opening Israel 62nd Independence Day celebrations on Mt. Herzl in Jerusalem on April 19. He thus becomes the first Israeli from the country's Progressive movement to be given this esteemed honor.
Read more...

Back to In This Issue
WORLDWorld Union gathers in Paris for Regional Biennial

By Rabbi Joel Oseran, Vice President for International Development

With a Jewish population of over a half of million, constituting the largest Jewish community in Europe, France has the potential to be of great importance to the World Union's strategic planning in Europe. With this in mind, leaders of its European region chose Paris for their recent biennial conference, which took place March 4-7. Over 300 participants from throughout Europe gathered to study, celebrate Shabbat and discuss the pressing issues facing our movement.
Read more...

Back to In This Issue
NETZERNetzer/Minsk wins international Purim 'shpiel-off'
The Minsk chapter of Netzer Olami, the World Union's international Zionist youth movement, won this year's Purimshpiel, an international competition held in Vitebsk, Belarus, by the Jewish Agency. The competition - the 16th in its current iteration - highlights theatrical and musical adaptations of the Purim story - a holiday staple for generations of Jewish communities around the globe.
Read more...
Haiti Earthquake Disaster
Back to In This Issue
LITTMANWorld Union has statements read at UNHRC in Geneva
David G. Littman, the World Union's spokesman to United Nations bodies in Geneva, delivered 10 statements last month at the 13th session of the UN Human Rights Council, some of them jointly with other organizations.
Read more...
Haiti Earthquake Disaster

Back to In This Issue
Torah from around the worldTORAH380Parshat Shemini

by Rabbi Nathan Alfred

Parashat Shemini has special relevance for me as it was my bar mitzvah portion. Although a barmitzvah so soon after Pesach caused many headaches for my mother, who was already baking and cooking lunch for the guests several weeks in advance, I was determined that this was the portion for me. Well, when the alternatives were menstrual purity or leprosy (from the following week's portion Tazria Metsora), perhaps the story of Nadav and Abihu's zapping suddenly became very appealing to my teenage mind!
Read more...
Connections2011

Sincerely,

World Union for Progressive Judaism
Safe Unsubscribe
This email was sent to phili...@philipbliss.com by wu...@wupj.org.il.
World Union for Progressive Judaism | 633 Third Ave | New York | NY | 10017

http://www.mailguard.com.au/mg

 Dr. Philip Bliss
T 61 3 9822 2691
F 61 3 9824 8163
phili...@blissdentistry.net.au
www.blissdentistry.net.au
20 Anderson Rd, East Hawthorn, Victoria, Australia, 3123