Yom HaShoah - Israel's National Holocaust Remembrance Day

1 view

Dr. Philip Bliss

Apr 12, 2010, 9:23:50 AM4/12/10
to ProjeNews Google

12 April 2010 IRAC Website|Blog||Contact

Dear Friends of IRAC,

A while back, I had an insight about Israelis and the Holocaust: most Israelis have a “Shoah moment” every day – a second in which they think about, mention, or refer to the Holocaust.

These might occur when confronted by the obvious triggers: the screech of trains, standing in line for food, waiting in tightly-packed corridors.

Or, they may be more subtle: hair of different colors left on a barbershop floor, children’s shoes all in a pile at a kindergarten. If a baby is born fair, it’s common to hear in maternity wards here, “this one would have been saved.”

I had my own moment recently while looking at an apartment.  When the realtor showed me a nook next to the toilet for storing supplies, I thought first, “a child could hide in here.”

Such references need not always be dark.  Think about your spouse running to the supermarket for the second time that day.  You say, “another twenty-five cans of tuna? What is this, the Holocaust?”

What does it mean that Israelis think of the Shoah everyday? It means we live in a country in which the Holocaust is not at all a dead subject, but one which continues to shape our lives and most private, even subconscious, thoughts.

But our memories of the Shoah, or our fleeting associations with the catastrophe, must transcend feelings of fear or thoughts of self-preservation.  Our memory of the Holocaust should remind us to do good in the world – practice tolerance, show mercy, help the needy, open our hearts. So in honor of Yom HaShoah, here is a lesson in altruism – IRAC’s award-winning recipe on how to be a mensche (human being):

Take one verse from the Bible:
And God created human beings in God’s image, in the image of God they were created, male and female God created them” (Genesis 1.27).

Add one “saying of our parents” (Pirkei Avot):
Who is honored? One who honors others” (4.1).

Gently ladle in one portion from the Talmud:
Whoever saves one life, it is as if they have saved an entire world” (Tractate Sanhedrin 37).

Top with one modern voice:
When human dignity is exiled, hope is exiled” (Proverbs of Benjamin).

Pour the mix into your mind and soul: it is done when a stranger’s dignity is as precious as your own.

L’shalom,

Anat Hoffman

'Kosher' Bus Line Operating in Tel Aviv

By Tomer Peleg, YNet News, April 1st, 2010

A bus line that separates between men and women has begun operating in Tel Aviv, odd news for many wh

read more...

Rabbis: Crisis with US Jewry Dangerous

By Yitzhak Benhorin, YNet News, April 4th, 2010

WASHINGTON – While Israel is rightfully concerned by deep breach in trust between the Obam

read more...

Rabbi: Make Foreign Workers Accept Laws of Noah

By Ari Galahar, YNet News, April 6th, 2010

A new initiative in ultra-Orthodox neighborhoods suggests that foreign workers seeking to work for ha

read more...

Egged Removes Third Temple Poster

By Ron Friedman, The Jerusalem Post, April 6th, 2010

A Pessah advertising campaign calling for the rebuilding of the Temple in Jerusalem has bee

read more...

Emmanuel School Found in Contempt of Court for Segregation

By Jerusalem Post Staff, The Jerusalem Post, April 8th, 2010

The High Court of Justice ruled Wednesday that an independent educational center op

read more...

Post-Pesach Warning: Don't Buy Chametz from Seculars

By Kobi Nahsoni, YNet News, April 7th, 2010

The sale of leavened food by a secular person has no halachic validity, and therefore one must not b

read more...
Haredi Web Sites Slam Litzman over Barzilai

By Jonah Mandel, The Jerusalem Post, April 8th, 2010

Haredi online media outlets lambasted deputy Health Minister Ya’acov Litzman Wednesda

Israel to mark Holocaust Day with Yad Vashem Ceremony, Nationwide Sirens

By Nir Hasson, Haaretz, April 11th, 2010

Events for Holocaust Martyrs and Heroes Day will begin Sunday evening with an official ceremony at 8 P.

Petitioners: Recognize State-approved Conversions

By Dan Izenberg, The Jerusalem Post, March 28th, 2010

A convert to Judaism and her husband petitioned the High Court of Justice on Sunday agains

ER Affair: PM Refuses to 'put lives at risk'

By Ronen Medzini, YNet News, April 6th, 2010

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu met with Deputy Health Minister Yacov Litzman (United Torah Juda

2009 All rights reserved. Israel Religious Action Center | 33 Jaffa street. POB 31936, Jerusalem, 91319, Israel

Forward email

Safe Unsubscribe
This email was sent to phi...@blissfam.com by cl...@irac.org.

The Israel Religious Action Center | POB 31936 | Jerusalem | 91319 | Israel