WUPJ's TORAH from around the world Tazria-Metsora

1 view

Dr. Philip Bliss

Apr 14, 2010, 5:13:57 PM4/14/10
to ProjeNews Google

Torah from around the world
ISSUE #14    14 April 2010  |  30 Nisan 5770
dotted line
CLICK TO DONATE

paypal make a donation button

Click to make a secure contribution.
The Ten Commandments of the Internet: on Parshat Tazria - Metsora

by Rabbi Pauline Bebe, Communauté Juive Libérale in Paris, France

Jewish Tradition, by a play on words, associates metsorato motsi shem ra [slandering] (TB, Ar. 15b); the one who is affected by the disease of tsoraat- a disease that no one is able to identify, since it affects people, houses and clothing - to one who utters literally "a bad name," who slanders. This association also comes from the biblical story (Numbers 12: 1) when Miriam, Moses' sister, says something bad about Moses' wife. We are not told what she says but Miriam is subsequently stricken with this same strange sickness. This disease is not something we might easily relate to today, especially the fact that a particular behavior would cause the immediate intervention of God, but what we can indeed easily relate to is gossiping or misusing our language. The Jewish tradition has always insisted on the correct use of language; works, such as the Havets Hayyim's Shemirat Halashon (1873; in "Sefer Shemirat Halashon", Israel Meir Hacohen), is but an example of the extensive literature in this domain.

Read More...

For previous issues of Torah from around the world
Connections 2011
Safe Unsubscribe
World Union for Progressive Judaism | 633 Third Ave | New York | NY | 10017
Dr. Philip Bliss
T 61 3 9822 2691
F 61 3 9824 8163
phili...@blissdentistry.net.au
www.blissdentistry.net.au
20 Anderson Rd, East Hawthorn, Victoria, Australia, 3123