Connecting with other groups

Dan O'Huiginn

Nov 17, 2008, 10:59:29 AM11/17/08
to Project Volunteering

Hi everybody

I'm obviously coming into this group at a fairly late stage; apologies if I'm bringing up things you've already talked through. But I wanted to make a proposal, both for finding a building and for the longer term...

So far, it seems we haven't made much attempt to reach out to other house projects in Berlin. I think we should try to do this, on the grounds that:
a) they may have ideas of how we can find a building
b) they may have advice on choosing a building, legal/practical problems to avoid, etc, etc.
c) Generally, the more connections we can make with the community around us, the better

Do people agree with that, in principle?

If so, here's what I believe we should do...

1) Write a german-language introduction to the project, based on translating some of the text already on the website. Put that text online - if we want to connect to communities in Berlin, we really should explain ourselves in German.

2) Collect a list of projects we'd like to build links to, and contact details for them. The list of social/political projects at http://stressfaktor.squat.net/adressen.php would be a good place to start.

3) Adapt our german-language text into individual emails to each of these groups - telling them about us, asking for their help, inviting them to meet us, etc.

4) If other groups respond positively, try to build deeper ties to them: go to their meetings and events, offer our help with their projects, etc.

Opinions? Offers of help? I can spend some time on this in the next few days (if we agree it's a good plan). But I don't write German so well- so I'd need at least some help composing and checking the German text.

Hugs to all,
Dan

[By the way, I've not been able to figure out how to create an account for the website - otherwise I would have posted it there. Help, anybody? (Lucian?)]

--
Dan O'Huiginn
dan...@ohuiginn.net

"Everything is permissible as long as it is fantastic"

TAU

Nov 22, 2008, 7:27:20 PM11/22/08
to ProjectVolunteering
Dan! The problem in this forum is that when somebody writes here it
doesnt appear in the recent activity log. I think you contribution is
great and very good plan.
As soon as I have a place to live I will definetly be up to doing it.
Thank you!
tau

Lucian

Dec 5, 2008, 6:54:14 AM12/5/08
to ProjectVolunteering
I agree that we do have the priority to get a place to live - we are
aming high but we don't have the little bit of security we need to go
there.
I know that connecting with people here may actually make everything
easier but the process of getting to know people will just take time
that we do not have.
However, getting to know people should always rank high for us.

Anick Bouchard

Feb 12, 2009, 5:54:17 AM2/12/09
to projectvo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Guys,

I had starred this message a while ago, and was curious to know if there was still anything here worth bumping up:

--

1) Write a german-language introduction to the project, based on translating some of the text already on the website. Put that text online - if we want to connect to communities in Berlin, we really should explain ourselves in German.

I also believe it to be important and can't help here... :(

2) Collect a list of projects we'd like to build links to, and contact details for them. The list of social/political projects  at http://stressfaktor.squat.net/adressen.php would be a good place to start.

If we can realize Urban Exploration on Sat. 14 Mar., this could be part of either the prep or the next day workshop, some sort of brain storm of potential activities, interest, and a prioritization, ownership-taking...
So I can pilot this, Dan would you be in with me at some point? Are you still interested?

3) Adapt our german-language text into individual emails to each of these groups - telling them about us, asking for their help, inviting them to meet us, etc.
That could be also slightly included in the follow-up activity/workshop.

4) If other groups respond positively, try to build deeper ties to them: go to their meetings and events, offer our help with their projects, etc.
Follow-up much later, but indeed interesting!

I'll add the three points to brainstorming regarding the OUExploration activity.

xx
AM