Restic: the specified Azure blob does not exist

Jean-Bernard Massicotte

Oct 16, 2020, 3:14:39 PM10/16/20
to Project Velero

I use velero to backup a namespace in Azure, which includes volumes of type ManagedDisk, in conjunction with restic to backup a volume of type AzureFile. I can successfully generate velero backups and restores; however restic is failing with the error “the specified blob does not  exist”. But the container that restic is referring to does exist as 1) velero uses that same blob, and 2) I remember at one point seeing a folder called ‘restic’ in that blob. Something has changed which now causes restic to not see that blob, but I just don’t know what it is.

Unfortunately, velero logs provide no details aside from “Is there a repository at the following location? azure:dcieastus2dev03cont:/restic/dci-solution-ns”

Suggestions anybody?

My installation is as follow:

velero install \
    --provider azure \
    --plugins velero/velero-plugin-for-microsoft-azure:${AZURE_PLUGIN_VERSION} \
    --bucket $AZURE_STORAGE_CONTAINER \
    --secret-file $CREDENTIAL_FILE \
    --backup-location-config resourceGroup=$AZURE_STORAGE_RESOURCE_GROUP,storageAccount=$AZURE_STORAGE_ACCOUNT \
    --snapshot-location-config apiTimeout=$API_TIMEOUT,resourceGroup=$AZURE_STORAGE_RESOURCE_GROUP
    --use-restic

Jean-Bernard Massicotte

Oct 16, 2020, 6:02:50 PM10/16/20
to Project Velero
Removed/reinstalled velero in the cluster a couple of times, and that seems to have fixed the problem. I can now backup and restore using velero and restic.

Bottom line I never found out what was the problem. Some kind of transient corrupted state.