How does velero restore pods?

Traiano Welcome

Nov 4, 2020, 1:13:19 AM11/4/20
to Project Velero

Hi All

In the scenario where the namespace has been deleted and the restore is "from scratch", how does velero restore pods in the case of a kubernetes deployment?

Does it restore the deployment, then the deployment recreates the pod replicas, then velero modifies the PVs on the pods to update the data to what is in the backup?

Is there any documentation of the process used for restoring objects in the "tree" of backup up items?

Thanks in advance,
Traiano

Adam Rush

Nov 17, 2020, 10:32:38 AM11/17/20
to Project Velero
Hi Traiano,

I also wondered this but couldn't find any info on the restore order.

However, I just restored a whole namespace and looked through the logs to find the following:

Velero Restore Order for Kubernetes resources

- PVs
- PVCs
- Secrets
- ConfigMaps