Review/discussion on Upload Progress Monitoring Doc

Dave Smith-Uchida

Feb 23, 2021, 2:57:38 PM2/23/21
to Nolan Brubaker, Carlisia Thompson, Bridget McErlean, Ashish Amarnath, projec...@googlegroups.com

This is a design to enable monitoring of upload progress for snapshots after the main part of the backup has finished.

Volume snapshotter plug-in are used by Velero to take snapshots of persistent volume contents. Depending on the underlying storage system, those snapshots may be available to use immediately, they may be uploaded to stable storage internally by the plug-in or they may need to be uploaded after the snapshot has been taken. We would like for Velero to continue on to the next part of the backup as quickly as possible but we would also like the backup to not be marked as complete until it is a usable backup. We'd also eventually like to bring the control of upload under the control of Velero and allow the user to make decisions about the ultimate destination of backup data independent of the storage system they're using.

Document with visible diagrams - https://github.com/dsu-igeek/velero/blob/snapshot-upload-progress-design-12-14-2020/design/upload-progress.md

Pull Request https://github.com/vmware-tanzu/velero/pull/3416

This meeting will present the design.  Community input is welcome at the design meeting and in other channels.

VMware Logo

VMware - Meeting Invite
Enjoy your meeting!

Dave Smith-Uchida is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.

Meeting URL:

https://VMware.zoom.us/j/94331975442?pwd=V2Rmci9kMjlOMWlHQUZqSkZKQ0ttdz09&from=addon

Meeting ID:

943 3197 5442

Password:

724366

Join by Telephone

Mobile one-tap:

US: +16699006833,,94331975442#,,,,*724366# or +12532158782,,94331975442#,,,,*724366#

Dial:

US: +1 669 900 6833 or +1 253 215 8782
or +1 346 248 7799
or +1 301 715 8592
or +1 312 626 6799
or +1 646 558 8656
India: 000 800 001 4002 (Toll Free)
or 000 800 050 5050 (Toll Free)
United Kingdom: +44 203 481 5240
or +44 203 901 7895
or +44 208 080 6591
or +44 208 080 6592
or +44 330 088 5830
or +44 131 460 1196
or +44 203 481 5237
Ireland: +353 1 240 8941
or +353 1 536 9320
or +353 1 653 3895
or +353 1 653 3897
or +353 1 653 3898
or +353 6 163 9031

Meeting ID:

943 3197 5442

Password:

724366

International numbers

Join from a Video Conferencing Room

H.323:

162.255.37.11 (US West)
162.255.36.11 (US East)
221.122.88.195 (China)
115.114.131.7 (India Mumbai)
115.114.115.7 (India Hyderabad)
213.19.144.110 (Amsterdam Netherlands)
213.244.140.110 (Germany)
103.122.166.55 (Australia Sydney)
103.122.167.55 (Australia Melbourne)
209.9.211.110 (Hong Kong SAR)
149.137.40.110 (Singapore)
64.211.144.160 (Brazil)
69.174.57.160 (Canada Toronto)
65.39.152.160 (Canada Vancouver)
207.226.132.110 (Japan Tokyo)
149.137.24.110 (Japan Osaka)

Meeting ID:

943 3197 5442

Password:

724366

SIP:

94331...@zoomcrc.com

Password:

724366

3401 Hillview Avenue, Palo Alto, CA 94304
VMware, Inc.
   |   View this email in your browser

Please note that this call might be recorded by the Host. When the recording starts a pop-up will appear on your screen and you will be able to consent to the recording or leave the call. If you would like to have more information on how VMware handles your personal data, please review our Privacy Policy.

invite.ics

Dave Smith-Uchida

Feb 25, 2021, 2:43:15 PM2/25/21
to Nolan Brubaker, Carlisia Thompson, Bridget McErlean, Ashish Amarnath, projec...@googlegroups.com, Jonas Rosland

Thanks to everyone joining today.

We had some discussion on how to keep track of the uploading state, whether to add additional phases or a new field to the Backup resource to handle that.

Plug-in versioning was identified as a pre-requisite to adding new plugin APIs.

Kubernetes Conditions and Events were identified as potential ways to track upload progress and other Velero states.  Will set up a meeting to discuss that.

Meeting recording is here: https://VMware.zoom.us/rec/share/BlR1fC523cdzT4aBhnC3fX7hE5xRzbtB11G1BZGMVuU6dz5iA23x0yKkLqFUoSge.MInnd9HTWq7enORN

Passcode: aBxv5q%F

From: dsmith...@vmware.com
When: 9:00 AM - 10:00 AM February 25, 2021
Subject: Review/discussion on Upload Progress Monitoring Doc
Location: https://VMware.zoom.us/j/94331975442?pwd=V2Rmci9kMjlOMWlHQUZqSkZKQ0ttdz09&from=addon

[...]

Image removed by sender. VMware Logo