Need help installing Velero with NFS/local as a backup storage

Laila Hz

Apr 19, 2023, 9:40:25 AM4/19/23
to Project Velero

Hello,

I hope this email finds you all doing well. I am writing to seek your help in installing Velero with NFS or local as backup storage. I have been trying to do it myself, but unfortunately, my attempts have been unsuccessful so far.

I have followed the documentation and searched for solutions online, but I haven't been able to get it working properly. I believe that the problem lies with configuring the NFS backup storage, and I am hoping that someone in the group who has experience with this can help me out.

If any of you have successfully installed Velero with NFS as backup storage, I would greatly appreciate your assistance. I am willing to schedule a call or a meeting to discuss the installation process and troubleshoot any issues together.

Thank you in advance for your help. I am looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Best regards,
Laila HZ

Tiger Kaovilai

Apr 23, 2023, 8:37:33 AM4/23/23
to Laila Hz, Project Velero

Please review the documentation and file issues if you think sections could be improved. If you already know what needs to be changed, make a pull request!
The aim should be that someone only has to ask once, and it can be easily looked up. You can find discussions of other velero users at
--

Tiger Kaovilai

He/Him/His

Software Engineer, OADP, Migration and Modernization Engineering

Red Hat

100 E. Davie Street

Raleigh, NC 27601

ti...@redhat.comtkao...@redhat.com

drag...@gmail.com

May 1, 2023, 3:02:16 PM5/1/23
to Project Velero

Hi @Tiger Kaovilai, Is the "Replicated" link you posted generally application to any Velero installation? It doesn't seem so but I wanted to confirm.

To answer the original question, Velero doesn't natively support NFS as backup destination. It requires S3 compatible storage but it may be possible to run some thing like "MinIO" on top of NFS storage, thus exposing S3 access to Velero.

Thanks,

Tiger Kaovilai

May 1, 2023, 5:43:40 PM5/1/23
to drag...@gmail.com, Project Velero

On Mon, May 1, 2023, 3:02 PM drag...@gmail.com <drag...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi @Tiger Kaovilai, Is the "Replicated" link you posted generally application to any Velero installation? It doesn't seem so but I wanted to confirm.
Not general velero installation. Figure it might help someone to see an example of some solutions that's it. Not velero native functionality.

Tiger Kaovilai

Aug 14, 2023, 3:01:07 AM8/14/23
to Project Velero
On that note,

Just found the plugin that might help everyone out... which the article I linked appears to be based on.

This is a plugin that allows velero backup to persists via local volume/NFS without object storage.