Tutorial getting started page instructions error

Alex Blake

Nov 24, 2014, 12:57:39 PM11/24/14
to project...@googlegroups.com

This is what's on the page:

'For now, let’s just pull in that data file letters.csv.bz2 that you downloaded earlier. We’ll place it into the data directory:
    mv ~/Downloads/letters.csv.bz2 data
With the letters.csv.bz2 data set in place, we can start to use ProjectTemplate’s automated data loading features. Open up R again and type the following, where PATH_TO_LETTERS_DIRECTORYis the path of the folder in which you’ve expanded the letters.csv data set:

    setwd("PATH_TO_LETTERS_DIRECTORY")
    library('ProjectTemplate')
    load.project()’

I followed the instructions above and got a few warning/error messages.  I believe the instructions need to be corrected to the following:

'For now, let’s just pull in that data file letters.csv.bz2 that you downloaded earlier. We’ll place it into the data directory:
    mv ~/Downloads/letters.csv.bz2 data
With the letters.csv.bz2 data set in place, we can start to use ProjectTemplate’s automated data loading features. Open up R again and type the following, where PATH_TO_PROJECT_ROOT_DIRECTORY is the path of the root folder for the project:

    setwd("PATH_TO_PROJECT_ROOT_DIRECTORY")
    library('ProjectTemplate')
    load.project()’

When I changed the path to PATH_TO_PROJECT_ROOT_DIRECTORY from PATH_TO_LETTERS_DIRECTORY and ran ‘load.project()’ from that root directory, it all worked as described on the webpage, that is to say, I would now get a message list similar to the one on the getting started page:

Autoloading helper functions
 Running helper script: helpers.R
Autoloading cache
Autoloading data
Munging data
 Running preprocessing script: 01-A.R

Kirill Müller

Nov 24, 2014, 2:24:44 PM11/24/14
to project...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for your feedback! The original source is in the "website" folder
on GitHub
(https://github.com/johnmyleswhite/ProjectTemplate/tree/master/website),
would you like to submit a pull request by editing the corresponding
".markdown" file(s)? (When viewing the file, click the "pencil" button
right to "History" and left to the "trash can".)