Creating hollow closed box in Multicore

Gianni Curti

Jul 11, 2024, 4:15:38 AMJul 11
to ProjectChrono
Hi,
I am trying to create a hollow closed box in Multicore since I need to simulate the movements of some internal components but I do not want any interaction with the external environment.
I saw there is a command to create a container, thus I was thinking to decleare another box and use it as a "lid" to close it by putting LinkLock constraints.
Is there a simpler procedure?

Thank you for your kindness!

Gianni

Radu Serban

Jul 13, 2024, 1:53:01 AMJul 13
to ProjectChrono

Gianni,

If you are interested in collisions of your internal components with the inside of the box, then utils::CreateBoxContainer allows creating a closed box (i.e. with 6 walls); see its last argument (optional, default: false).  No need to create a separate body for the “lid” and connect it through a weld joint (which would only add additional states and constraints).

Otherwise, the easiest way is to simply create one solid box and ignore collisions with any of the internal components by using collision families (set the box in one collision family and all internal components in a different one, then disable any collisions between the two families). See ChCollisionModel::SetFamily and ChCollisionModel::DisallowCollisionWith.

Of course, all of this assumes your internal components carry collision geometry. Otherwise, you do not need to do anything special.

--Radu

Message has been deleted

Gianni Curti

Jul 23, 2024, 12:36:00 PM (4 days ago) Jul 23
to ProjectChrono
Good morning Radu,

thank you a lot for your suggestions! I will try to implement them.

Gianni