How to Import Your Own 3D Model and Set Constraints and Drivers?

kyrie James

Nov 1, 2022, 9:43:10 PM11/1/22
to ProjectChrono
Dear all,
I want to import my own three-dimensional model of the vehicle, and add drive and set parameters, I did not find examples in the tutorial, how to set up in Chrono : : vehicle ? Or other modules ?
Thank  you!

suraj thigale

Nov 2, 2022, 1:20:09 AM11/2/22
to ProjectChrono
Hello Team,

I'm also looking for same solution, integration of 3D Car model in chrono project's, but could't find in demo/toturial.

if anyone had integrated 3D vehicle model in project chrono let us know the integration steps and flow.

Thanks in Advance ..  !!

_S.T

Radu Serban

Nov 8, 2022, 3:35:31 AM11/8/22
to ProjectChrono

Suraj and Kyrie,

I am not quite sure what you mean by “integration of 3D Car model”?

Vehicle models in Chrono::Vehicle are modeled by assembling the appropriate set of subsystem templates, concretized to your desired vehicle by providing all necessary parameters (hardpoint locations, mass and inertia properties, various dimensions, spring and damper characteristics, etc, etc).  You can do this through a hierarchical set of JSON specification files or else by writing your own set of vehicle-specific derived classes (as done in the Chrono vehicle model library for several vehicles).

Please provide details on what data you have and want to use to build your own Chrono::Vehicle model.

--Radu

Message has been deleted

kyrie James

Nov 9, 2022, 1:29:29 AM11/9/22
to ProjectChrono
Hi Radu,

Thank you very much for your reply! I see what you mean, but I don't know the location of the JSON file you are talking about. Can you recommend some related demos?

Maybe I didn't make myself clear in my last question. I want to import my own vehicle model, which is the model of our laboratory entity car. Constraints and drives are added to the laboratory vehicle model and studied. Can Chrono realize this requirement?

Thanks in Advance ..  !!

--Kyrie

Radu Serban

Nov 9, 2022, 2:56:21 AM11/9/22
to kyrie James, ProjectChrono

Hi Kyrie,

Sets of such JSON specification files for various concrete vehicle models are in the Chrono data directory, under data/vehicle/.  For example, the various JSON files completely specifying the various subsystems for a HMMWV vehicle are located in subdirectories of data/vehicle/hmmwv.

Start by looking at demo_VEH_WheeledJSON which uses models defined through such JSON files.

You do not provide any details on the vehicle you have in the lab and which you want to model.  Assuming it has subsystem topologies for which we have templates in Chrono::Vehicle, you need to collect and measure all required parameters then generate a complete set of the required JSON files.

If your vehicle has non-standard topology, you can still model it in Chrono, but you will not be able to rely on the Chrono::Vehicle module.  Instead, you will have to write your own model (in C++) for that.  You can see such an example in Chrono in the Mars Curiosity rover.

I hope this helps and puts you on the right track.

--Radu

kyrie James

Nov 11, 2022, 1:49:39 AM11/11/22
to ProjectChrono
Hi Radu,

Thank you for your reply! I will try something according to your suggestion.

I recently encountered another problem. I hope you can give me some suggestions. I want to import the BMP file into the SCM terrain so that I can create a terrain environment with a soil model. In the official demo_VEH_HMMWV_DefSoil. cpp file, I modified some code to use a new terrain initialization function.

63bf225e2dcea3490a60b5db588821e.jpg

76039170b3bb96ca7d498dffc2c9464.jpg

390e628ce84d2b9eb87f0840a2704cb.jpg

The above modifications have been made.

However, after the compilation is completed, the run reports an error.

887f28974158f3ae2c4d58bd7abf548.jpg

There is an unhandled exception at 0x00007FF89533428C (in demo_veh_hmmwv_defsoil. exe): Microsoft C + + Exception: chrono:: ChException at memory location 0x000000e13077f288.

00f2f014ab377bfee82f16ed9bcae5d.jpg

What is the reason? Please give me some advice.

Thanks in Advance ..  !!

--Kyrie