Specify full Stiffness matrix in a BeamIGA in pychrono

Nicolas CORTES

May 12, 2023, 9:00:17 AM5/12/23
to ProjectChrono
Hi !
I want to create a beam model for a wind turbine blade.
I tried to create a ChElasticityCosseratAdvancedGenericFPM with a full matrix and give it to a ChBuiderBeamIGA but the ChMatrixNM type seems not to be available in pychrono.
Are there other ways to specify a full stiffness matrix to a beam section in pychrono ?
Thank you for your help.
Nicolas

Alessandro Tasora

May 12, 2023, 11:10:16 AM5/12/23
to projec...@googlegroups.com

Hi Nicolas,

sorry but the ChMatrixNM is in fact missing from the Python wrapper. There are only two solutions at the moment:

- either you modify the .i files for the SWIG wrapper, adding support for a 6x6 ChMatrixNM, then rebuild all Chrono and generate the Python modules (advanced stuff, but I can help). See ChMatrix33.i to understand how. The trick is mostly in the row
   %template(ChMatrix33D) chrono::ChMatrix33<double>;
that in your case could be
  %template(ChMatrix66D) chrono::ChMatrixNM<double,6,6>;

- or you switch to C++ , that has a steepy learning curve but in the end it has less limitations than the Python API

best

Alessandro