Pychrono irrlicht visualization doesn't appear

Lily Brenner

May 19, 2023, 11:20:55 AM5/19/23
to ProjectChrono
Hi! I'm using the demos for irrlicht under the pychrono module, but the window with the actual visualization never appears. The output from running demo_IRR_assets.py is below. I'm running this on an Apple M2 device, which very well could be the source of the problem.

 Demo of using the assets sys to create shapes for Irrlicht visualization
Irrlicht Engine version 1.8.5
Darwin Kernel Version 22.1.0: Sun Oct  9 20:15:52 PDT 2022; root:xnu-8792.41.9~2/RELEASE_ARM64_T8112
This driver is not available in OSX. Try OpenGL or Software renderer.
Error: Could not load built-in Font. Did you compile without the BMP loader?
Cannot use default video driver - fall back to OpenGL
Irrlicht Engine version 1.8.5
Darwin Kernel Version 22.1.0: Sun Oct  9 20:15:52 PDT 2022; root:xnu-8792.41.9~2/RELEASE_ARM64_T8112
Using renderer: OpenGL 2.1
Apple M2: Apple
OpenGL driver version is 1.2 or better.
GLSL version: 1.2
Loaded texture: /Users/USER/miniconda3/envs/chrono/share/chrono/data/fonts/arial80.bmp
Loaded texture: /Users/USER/miniconda3/envs/chrono/share/chrono/data/models/forklift/tire_truck.png
Loaded mesh: /Users/USER/miniconda3/envs/chrono/share/chrono/data/models/forklift/body.obj
Loaded texture: /Users/USER/miniconda3/envs/chrono/share/chrono/data/logo_pychrono_alpha.png
Loaded texture: /Users/USER/miniconda3/envs/chrono/share/chrono/data/skybox/sky_lf.jpg
Loaded texture: /Users/USER/miniconda3/envs/chrono/share/chrono/data/skybox/sky_up.jpg
Loaded texture: /Users/USER/miniconda3/envs/chrono/share/chrono/data/skybox/sky_dn.jpg

Luning Fang

May 23, 2023, 4:36:40 PM5/23/23
to ProjectChrono
Hello!

I don't have M2 chip mac, mine has the intel chip; I can provide some insights that could be helpful.

Did you build pychrono from the source, or you installed pychrono from conda? From your output, all textures got loaded fine, and if there were something majorly wrong, it wouldn't get that far. On my mac, the visualization window doesn't pop up automatically, instead, it's in the background, and you can find that in Mission Control view. Could you give that a shot?

Thank you,
Luning