PyChrono Active Suspension

Jeremy Kimball

Mar 9, 2023, 5:27:37 PM3/9/23
to ProjectChrono
Hello,

I am attempting to implement an active suspension in PyChrono, and how to go about doing so is not immediately obvious to me. I would like to specify an active suspension force and have that force applied in parallel with the spring and damper in the suspension subsystem.

Any advice on how best to achieve this would be greatly appreciated

Thanks,

Jeremy

Radu Serban

Mar 29, 2023, 11:47:13 AM3/29/23
to ProjectChrono

Hi Jeremy,

You can use a ChLinkTSDA element which allows you to provide your own function for specifying the force generated by that element. See ChLinkTSDA::ForceFunctor or look at demo_MBS_spring for an example.

Now, the question is how you would use this with a vehicle suspension subsystem. Are you using one of the existing suspension templates or defined your own?  If the former, the problem is that you may not have access to the suspension bodies you would need to connect (and so this would require a modification of the corresponding template to expose those). Alternatively, you can overwrite the force calculation function of the existing spring or shock TSDAs.

To make a long story short, please give a few more details, including which suspension template you are working with (or if you intend this to be a general capability that could work with any suspension template).

--Radu