Dear all.

stefan

Aug 29, 2022, 2:48:29 AM8/29/22
to ProjectChrono
Is there any way to speed up the chrono vehicle simulation with sedan vehicle in Tmeasy tire or pacejka tire on rigid terrain road?
 I found two modules  in chrono, One is syschrono,and  the other one is multicore.

As far as I am concerned, the synchrony is for autonomous vehicles and can decrease the simulation with multiple vehicles. And the other one is a multicore module, it can not speed up the simulation

Marcel Offermans

Aug 29, 2022, 5:48:53 AM8/29/22
to projec...@googlegroups.com

Hello Stefan,

I guess you want to try to speed things up to ensure that you can run your simulation in real-time? As far as I know there is no way to dramatically speed up the simulation at the moment. You need a relatively small time step to keep it all stable and there is no easy way to run those calculations in parallel. The only thing you can do to speed things up is to decouple physics from graphics so they run on separate cores.

Greetings, Marcel

stefan

Aug 29, 2022, 8:02:55 AM8/29/22
to ProjectChrono
Hi marcel,

The real-time simulation is exactly what I want. I have already decoupled physics from graphics, but it still can not meet my requirements. Is it possible to
separate the tire model and vehicle model? In that way, the computation of tire and vehicle can be run on separate cores.

JASON Z

Aug 29, 2022, 1:51:34 PM8/29/22
to ProjectChrono
Stefan,

Theoretically, you should be able to run one vehicle per thread on rigid terrain using most of modern machines. If you are performing vehicle simulations with more than one vehicle, you can look into Synchrono.

Many parameters can affect the RTF of the simulation. Could you please provide more information regarding the simulation you are running? Time step, what vehicle model, terrain size, number of triangles you used for terrain mesh? What rendering engine you are using, and what RTF are you currently getting? Maybe a screenshot can help as well.

Thanks,
Jason

stefan

Aug 29, 2022, 11:25:26 PM8/29/22
to ProjectChrono
The time step is 0.5e-3, It may be a little small, but it can give a reasonable result. I am using the sedan vehicle and the obj file is input as rigid terrain.  I don't know how to change the number of triangles and terrain size, could you give me some advice about how to speed up my simulation by changing the terrain size and number of triangles?  A separate rendering engine, such as Carla UE, was used and it run on a different computer. I have run my simulation on two different computers, and the cpu usage both are 100%. The RTF are 2.5 and 1.66 respectively. It depends on the performance of the single cpu core.

JASON Z

Aug 29, 2022, 11:32:10 PM8/29/22
to ProjectChrono
Yes, the CPU's single thread performance matters in your case.

1.66 RTF is actually not as bad as I'm thinking. I am suspecting you are using a terrain obj mesh which is way too detailed. As the question I proposed in the last answer, could you please post the number of triangles and the size of the terrain?

I suggest to use Meshlab or Blender to simplified the rigid terrain profile. Another option can be slicing the terrain obj into several pieces, such as slicing a squared obj terrain into four sub-terrains.

Jason