Problems running V 6.0 precompiled binary for windows

Tim Barrett

Mar 20, 2023, 2:35:34 PM3/20/23
to ProjectChrono
Hi,

I am having absolute beginner/newbie problems and I apologise if I have missed something obvious.

I have downloaded v6.0 precompiled binary for Windows and installed.

If I look at the tutorials for instance https://api.projectchrono.org/tutorial_demo_buildsystem.html, I am lost as to how to proceed.  Sorry, but I can't figure it out where to begin.  There is no start icon under Project Chrono in the Start menu, only an uninstall icon.

I have uninstalled and downloaded the binary again with the same result.

I have tried going to the Project Chrono folder on C drive and tried double-clicking the demos but have had no luck getting the demos to run.  For instance demo_GL_inv_pendulum.exe just gives me the missing glew32.dll message.  Glew32.dll is actually there however.
When I double-click demo_CH_math.exe, I get "The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000142).  Click OK to close the application.

Hoping this makes sense and someone can help.

Cheers

Tim Barrett

Mar 22, 2023, 10:28:51 PM3/22/23
to ProjectChrono
Update:
I installed v6.0 on a second win 10 pc using the precompiled binary.  Most of the demos now work except the ones with demo_GL_ in their title.  I get the same messages for these as for the first pc (above).

My question is now:
1. Why does the first windows 10 pc not work?
2. Is there a simple guide for beginners like me?

The only practical difference is that I installed the latest visual studio on the first PC and have not installed VS on the second

Hoping someone can help.

shlok sabarwal

Mar 23, 2023, 12:12:35 PM3/23/23
to ProjectChrono
Hello Tim,

Thank you for writing your question. As it was pointed out in this link, https://stackoverflow.com/questions/36811679/visual-studio-code-binary-compatibility, it may happen at times that programs that are built and run on varying vs code toolkits may have compatibility issues due to updated .DLL files. To avoid problems like these in the future, it may help to build chrono from the latest release code, instructions for which can be found here: https://api.projectchrono.org/development/tutorial_table_of_content_install.html. The instructions linked provide a step-by-step method to build chrono from sources. Please let us know if there are sections of the instructions that may seem unclear to you as a beginner, and we will attempt to make them easier to understand.

Thank you!

Shlok

Tim Barrett

Mar 24, 2023, 12:14:57 PM3/24/23
to ProjectChrono
Thankyou Shlok for your helpful answer.  I will endeavor to do this.  I appreciate your offer of help if I get stuck.

Cheers

Tim

Tim Barrett

Mar 28, 2023, 11:52:41 AM3/28/23
to ProjectChrono
Hi,
I have VS installed with the workloads.
Where do I install Eigen and Irrlicht Library
Thanks
Tim

shlok sabarwal

Mar 28, 2023, 4:24:41 PM3/28/23
to ProjectChrono
Hello Tim,

The following are the links to the requested libraries!

Eigen 3.4.0: https://gitlab.com/libeigen/eigen/-/releases/3.4.0

I hope this helps!

Best,
Shlok

shlok sabarwal

Mar 31, 2023, 7:46:07 AM3/31/23
to ProjectChrono
Hello Tim,

As a follow up, if you will be building with sources, the libraries will be needed to be installed in these locations (as specified in the instructions here)

Irrlicht installation location: C:/workspace/libraries/irrlicht-1.8.5/
Eigen installation location: C:/workspace/libraries/eigen-3.4.0/

Both packages should be automatically detected by CMake, but if they are not, please set the IRRLICHT_INSTALL_DIR and the EIGEN3_INCLUDE_DIR variables to the above mentioned locations.

Best,
Shlok

Shlok