Installation problem. Errors LNK1181 and C1083.

Alessio

Jun 10, 2024, 10:18:55 AMJun 10
to ProjectChrono
Hello everyone.

I'm a master student and I'm trying to download Chrono to work on my thesis.
I was initially able to download the basic version of chrono without any module except Irrlicht, and everything seemed to go well.

Working on chrono I realised I needed some additional modules, in particular VSG and Multicore, so I downloaded all the necessary libraries and SDKs (Vulkan, Thrust, Blaze, etc.) and followed the respective installation guides, in fact when I configure and then generate the solution on Cmake I get no errors.

I finally open the solution and try to run the release mode demos and I only get errors, including mainly ‘fatal error LNK1181’, ‘error C1083’, ‘warning C4996’, ‘warning C4189’ and ‘warning C4305’, plus others that I may have missed and that are shown in the output file that I enclose.

I tried repeating the procedure even without VSG and Multicore but I still get errors.

Has anyone experienced similar problems or knows how I could solve them?

Thanks in advance to anyone who tries to help me.
Alessio
output.txt

Dario Mangoni

Jun 10, 2024, 10:42:24 AMJun 10
to ProjectChrono
Hi Alessio,
what CUDA version do you have? Is it >=12.4?

The CUDA API changed in the latest release and we didn't push the fix for it yet.

Dario

Alessio

Jun 10, 2024, 11:05:30 AMJun 10
to ProjectChrono
Hi Dario,

First of all thank you for your answer.
Actually this issue with CUDA is another thing that I didn't understand: having downloaded it just a few days ago I had the latest version i.e. 12.5, however since it was giving me errors and thinking it all depended on this, I decided to delete Cuda and use the Thrust library instead (which as I understand it should be equivalent), in fact in Cmake I defined the path for it and I don't know why the compilation then sends me back to CUDA. Do you think it would be useful to repeat the process using an older version of Cuda?

Dario Mangoni

Jun 10, 2024, 11:09:38 AMJun 10
to ProjectChrono
Thrust is not distributed as a standalone product anymore and it is now bundled together with CUDA. You should still be able to download and link to the older versions of Thrust available on their GitHub page, but since you had problems I would recommend you to just pick the one coming from CUDA.

However, there is a known bug with CUDA 12.5 so I would recommend you to rollback (until the bug gets fixed) to 12.3 (I don't recall if 12.4 was fine).