Some files generated by Chrono have some syncing issues in Dropbox

Qihan Xuan

Sep 6, 2022, 3:54:33 PM9/6/22
to ProjectChrono
Hi,

I found some sync issues for the file "CompilerldC.exe" and 'Browse.VC.opendb' (see below images). That's because they were detected as viruses.

Do you know what these files are? They seem not important because the simulation still works after we delete them.

Could you help to confirm that they can be deleted? And, do you happen to know how to fix it or not generate them or delete them automatically?

This question is minor but annoying.
image (2).pngimage (1).png
Thanks,
Qihan

Radu Serban

Sep 6, 2022, 4:03:03 PM9/6/22
to ProjectChrono

These are not part of the Chrono distribution.  Rather, they are files generated during the build process with Visual Studio.

Whatever Dropbox thinks about these files may have to do with some setting on your local machine.

Having said that, there is no reason to try to backup such files.  If you want to save an install of Chrono, set a proper install directory during CMake configuration, then build the INSTALL target (project) after a successful build of the Chrono solution, and backup the install directory.  That directory will contain all headers, libraries, and DLLs you’d need to link Chrono to some external project.

--Radu

Thanks,

Qihan

Qihan Xuan

Sep 6, 2022, 4:32:26 PM9/6/22
to ProjectChrono
Thanks Radu.
Now I know I don't need to keep these files. But I don't quite understand what you said here " If you want to save an install of Chrono, set a proper install directory during CMake configuration, then build the INSTALL target (project) after a successful build of the Chrono solution, and backup the install directory.  That directory will contain all headers, libraries, and DLLs you’d need to link Chrono to some external project."
Do you mean if I set a proper install directory during CMake configuration, I can just save the necessary files in Dropbox and save others locally?

Thanks,
Qihan

Qihan Xuan

Sep 6, 2022, 4:43:55 PM9/6/22
to ProjectChrono
Actually, I can just set the building directory outside Dropbox. So the annoying files won't make trouble with Dropbox.

Thanks,
Qihan