Failing to build Chrono

Tanmay Chhatbar

Jun 14, 2024, 5:29:11 PMJun 14
to ProjectChrono
Hi. I'm trying to build Chrono. After facing issues in setting up MPI on Windows (Package 'mpi-c', required by 'virtual:world', not found), I switched to Linux instead.

Problem:
- I followed the first 6 steps of the Installation guide successfully. On step 7, trying to build generates an error "error: ‘__syncthreads’ was not declared in this scope
  271 |     __syncthreads();" that leads to a stream of errors. I have attached a log file that might help someone more experienced realise the error.

Tried:
- reinstalling CUDA toolkit, OS
- building CUDA-samples works. just fine, so I'm relatively confident that my CUDA installation is alright.
- using Chrono versions release 9.0 and master. Same error on both
- make -k eventually fails
- make and ninja generate the same error

Any leads on how to fix this issue would be great. Let me know what information might help diagnose it. Thanks.

Specs:
Ubuntu 22.04 LTS
gcc 12.3.0
Cuda compilation tools, release 12.5, V12.5.40
NVIDIA-SMI 555.42.02
Driver Version: 555.42.02
CUDA Version: 12.5
faillog.log

Dario Mangoni

Jun 14, 2024, 5:37:54 PMJun 14
to ProjectChrono
Hi,
  • do you really need both MPI and CUDA?
  • does a simple plain compilation of Chrono with no modules enabled work fine?
  • which modules did you enable? Can you please share the CMakeCache.txt inside your build folder?
  • you are showing errors during compilation: was your CMake log completely and perfectly clean? Please share it as well
Bests,
Dario

Dario Mangoni

Jun 14, 2024, 5:39:03 PMJun 14
to ProjectChrono
P.S. as mentioned in other posts CUDA 12.5 is not currently working fine with Chrono so you may need to downgrade to 12.3 or 12.4 or wait for the appropriate fix to Chrono (in the coming days probably)

Thanks,
Dario

Tanmay Chhatbar

Jun 14, 2024, 5:57:26 PMJun 14
to ProjectChrono
1. I hadn't thought of it as an either/or case. I believe I need MPI to build and use the Vehicle module, for a few simulations with tracked vehicles. Please tell me if I'm wrong here.
2, 3. Even with all modules unticked, I'm facing the same issue.
3, 4. I've attached the cmake log and cache to this reply.
4. Thanks for notifying about 12.5 not working well. I'll downgrade and see if that fixes it.
cmake.log
CMakeCache.txt

Tanmay Chhatbar

Jun 14, 2024, 6:46:58 PMJun 14
to ProjectChrono
Can confirm, CUDA 12.5 was the problem. I downgraded to 12.4 and the compilation for all demos was successful.
It would be great to include suggestions on the version of CUDA to install in the installation guide, as you have for all other software that's needed.

Thank you very much for the prompt response, Dario!