How to model combustion/gas piston?

Alex Teti

Aug 8, 2022, 5:29:45 PM8/8/22
to ProjectChrono
Does chrono have modules that would model combustion, like in a gas piston?

I'm guessing it's the FSI (Fluid Solid Interaction) Module, right?

Wei Hu

Aug 8, 2022, 5:39:37 PM8/8/22
to Alex Teti, ProjectChrono
Hi,

The short answer is no. However, if you are familiar with SPH, which is the method we use in our FSI module, you still can model that problem by modifying the WCSPH solver in FSI. It would take a while, but since the framework is already there, you should still benefit from it. Here is a paper that might be of interest: https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11433-017-9127-3

Thank you,
Wei

On Mon, Aug 8, 2022 at 4:29 PM Alex Teti <alexte...@gmail.com> wrote:
Does chrono have modules that would model combustion, like in a gas piston?

I'm guessing it's the FSI (Fluid Solid Interaction) Module, right?

Alex Teti

Aug 8, 2022, 6:24:56 PM8/8/22
to ProjectChrono
Ok, I'll try and figure something out then. Thanks for linking to the paper, it was really informative!