Smooth Rigid Terrain Simulations

Siyuan Yu

Feb 24, 2023, 12:40:18 AM2/24/23
to ProjectChrono
Hi Developers,

We found that when using the rigid terrain data file from either bmp file or obj file, it is inevitably causing the vehicle to have tire lift off situations (We can see that clear boundaries of the terrain field). We believe that this is actually causing the vehicle to behave strangely on 3D terrain. However, to make fine terrain maps, the loading time is very long.  But even a finer map does not ease the problem too much. Any advice on that?

Thanks in advance!
Siyuan

Radu Serban

Feb 24, 2023, 3:10:16 PM2/24/23
to ProjectChrono

Siyuan,

You do not mention what tire model you are using with that.

Assuming you are certain these situations should not occur (how rough is the resulting mesh and how fast are you going over it?), you can always implement and provide your own, smoother version.  For use with any of the tire models derived from ChForceElementTire (Pac89, Pac02, Fiala, TMeasy), all that a terrain object must provide are the terrain height at a given (x,y) location and the terrain normal at an (x,y) location.  You can implement your own terrain class (maybe derived from RigidTerrain if you still

want to use some of its methods) and override GetHeight() and GetNormal().

Before going down that path, I encourage you to make sure this behavior is (1) really non-physical and (2) due to non-smoothness in the trimesh-based rigid terrain.

--Radu