Building Dev Branch on Linux

Darwin Mick

Nov 9, 2021, 4:43:24 PM11/9/21
to ProjectChrono
Hello,

We are trying to build the dev branch of chrono on linux and are running into some problems. In cmake, we are setting chrono_gpu and irrlicht as "on" in our build settings. We can configure and generate with no issue. However, in the generated ChronoConfig.cmake file, both of these modules are set to off. I've attached the cmake file.

Does anyone know why this may be?

Thank you,

Darwin Mick
ChronoConfig.cmake

Radu Serban

Nov 10, 2021, 3:58:51 AM11/10/21
to Darwin Mick, ProjectChrono

Hi Darwin,

Are you saying that you have *successfully* configured and built Chrono with the Irrlicht and GPU modules enabled and yet this is not reflected in the project configuration script?

This is hard to believe since a module is set to ‘ON’ in ChronoConfig.cmake based solely on the value of the corresponding ‘ENABLE_MODULE_***’ variable in the Chrono CMake script.

Note that a module enabled by the user can be automatically disabled during Chrono configuration if one of its dependencies is missing.  For example, even if user-enabled, the GPU module is automatically disabled if (i) CUDA is not found; or (ii) Eigen version is older than 3.3.6.   In either case, a message is displayed in the cmake (or cmake-gui) output and ENABLE_MODULE_GPU is set to OFF (which would make the GPU component also unavailable in ChronoConfig.cmake).

Anyway, if none of the above explains what you are seeing, we will need some more information from you to understand what is going on.  Could you please provide:

  • Information on the OS and compiler you are using
  • CMake version
  • The CMake output from configuring Chrono
  • The CMakeCache.txt, CMakeError.log, and CMakeOutput.log files

Thanks,
Radu

Darwin Mick

Nov 16, 2021, 12:12:42 AM11/16/21
to ProjectChrono
Hi,

Thankyou, we were working with our university's IT department and things got a little confusing. I have started working on it independently and am able to successfully configure chrono but am unable to build it. It's building to 89% then failing to the following error:
 Screenshot 2021-11-15 221117.jpg
I've checked, and as far as I can tell my chrono_thirdparty directory is up to date. I'm using gcc 7.2.0 as my compiler and cmake version 3.20.3.

Thank you!

Darwin

Radu Serban

Nov 16, 2021, 7:57:33 AM11/16/21
to Darwin Mick, ProjectChrono

Darwin,

We’ll provide a fix shortly.
Can you use a newer GCC version?  It seems that this particular constraint on contexpr functions was relaxed (also explains why we didn’t catch this).
Also, since you end up building CHPF, I assume you are interested in (enabled) either the GPU or the FSI module.  Those use CUDA and you may have problems anyway with an older GCC version.  If that is the case, what version of CUDA are you using?

--Radu

Nov 16, 2021, 9:05:13 AM11/16/21
to ProjectChrono
Hello Darwin,
I'm the maintainer of ChPF and I plan on attempting a fix for this later today. That said, it's a bit strange to me that GCC 7 is complaining about this seeing as it should work fine in C++14. Could you please share with us the g++ compile command that is being run to build this file? If you used the Ninja generator, the compile command will be printed above the error. If you used the default Unix Makefiles generator, you can build with `make VERBOSE=1` to have it dump commands.

Fair warning, I usually only glance at the mailing list every other day, so if my response is delayed I apologize in advance.

I appreciate your cooperation and patience as we try to resolve this issue.

Regards,
Colin

Darwin Mick

Nov 16, 2021, 2:28:28 PM11/16/21
to ProjectChrono
Hello,

Thankyou! I'm relatively new to linux and am not completely sure how to get the exact information that you need. I ran the make again but using 'make VERBOSE=1' and have copied the output to a text file and attached it.

Best,

Darwin Mick

ChPF_TerminalOutput_Error.txt

Colin Vanden Heuvel

Nov 18, 2021, 5:05:26 PM11/18/21
to ProjectChrono
Darwin,

This should be fixed on develop with commit 8f43e91. You will probably need to update your git submodules after pulling the changes in order to see the fix.

I was able to reproduce and fix the error on GCC 11.1. I don't have access to a build of GCC 7 right now so I can't completely rule out any further issues with it. Please let me know if you still have problems and I will look up a container image that more closely matches your toolchain.

Regards,
Colin

Radu Serban

Nov 22, 2021, 9:20:48 AM11/22/21
to ProjectChrono

Darwin,

Could you please confirm or infirm that the fix Colin pushed resolves your issue?

Thanks,
Radu

 Image removed by sender.

Darwin Mick

Dec 8, 2021, 6:59:59 PM12/8/21
to ProjectChrono
Hi,

This fix worked, thank you!!! I apologize for my delayed response.

Best,

Darwin Mick