Failing to build Demos

Benjamin Johnson

Jan 23, 2023, 4:49:06 PM1/23/23
to ProjectChrono
Hello,

I am having trouble getting Project Chrono installed on my Windows machine. It seems to be a linker error, but I am not really sure.

Cmake does not show any errors(in red) when I configure. I am not really sure where to go from here. Any suggestions on things to try or resources to check would be grealy appreciated.

I am seeing a lot of errors like this:

219>LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file '..\..\..\..\lib\Debug\ChronoEngine_vehicle_cosim.lib'
219>Done building project "demo_VEH_Cosim_WheelRig.vcxproj" -- FAILED.

I am attaching the build output as well as the cmake config file incase that is helpful.

I am using Visual Studio 2022 to build the project.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Cheers,
Benjamin
chronoBuildOut.txt
ChronoConfig.cmake

Radu Serban

Jan 23, 2023, 4:58:26 PM1/23/23
to ProjectChrono

Benjamin,

It looks like you did not initialize the git submodules.

In a terminal, go to where you have cloned the Chrono source (which for you appears to be C:/WorkSpace/ProjectChrono/chrono) and type:
  % git submodule init

  % git submodule update

Then rebuild the solution.

What happened is that, because you do not have these submodules (in particular chpf), the Chrono FSI library couldn’t build which meant the vehicle co-simulation library couldn’t build which finally resulted in demos depending on one of these libraries not building.

--Radu

Benjamin Johnson

Jan 24, 2023, 1:25:37 PM1/24/23
to ProjectChrono
Hey Radu,

Thank you for your help. I think I messed something else up when I tried to rebuild initially because it did not seem to help. However, I deleted the old folder and re-cloned and then did the submodule update and it appears to have built with no errors.

I do however, have another question. I can post this in a separate conversation if that is preferred...

I am having issues with finding the MPI library. I have installed the Intel version(One API).

Cmake still says it can not find MPI and thus is disabling some of the vehicle module stuff. This shouldn't be an issue for right now, but mostly I am just curious what I am doing wrong. I have looked all over google and this group and I can not seem to find what I am looking for. Attached are the modules I have enabled as well as the MPI variables in Cmake.

Any idea why it is not finding them?

Thank you!
Benjamin

enabledModules.PNGmpiSettings.PNG

Prakhar Gupta

Dec 7, 2023, 11:18:39 AM12/7/23
to ProjectChrono
Following up on this-  I see multiple people have asked about this on the forum.
I am trying to use the VehicleCosim module, but I can't build it on a Windows machine because CMake fails to find the MPI libraries. I have tried msmpi and Intel MPI, both. Is it likely to be an issue with the environment variables? Which environment variables is the CMake looking for?

PS: I was able to build this on Linux, with mpich. But my linux machine does not have a GPU, and was hoping to setup Chrono on the Windows machine.

Thanks!

Radu Serban

Dec 7, 2023, 11:39:29 AM12/7/23
to ProjectChrono

This is an MPI setup issue, and the solution likely depends on the particular distribution you are using.

All I can do is tell you that I am using the Microsoft MPI package (which ends up being installed under C:/Program Files (x86)/Microsoft SDKs/MPI/).

I have the following relevant environment variables defined (which, if I recall correctly, were automatically set during installation of MS MPI):

MSMPI_BENCHMARKS   C:\Program Files\Microsoft MPI\Benchmarks\

MSMPI_BIN    C:\Program Files\Microsoft MPI\Bin\

MSMPI_INC   C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\MPI\Include\

MSMPI_LIB32   C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\MPI\Lib\x86\

MSMPI_LIB64   C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\MPI\Lib\x64\

Then, I have the following in the PATH environment variable:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft MPI\Bin\

For configuring Chrono with MPI support, we simply use CMake’s own FindMPI (I use CMake version 3.25.1).  This is what the output from running the Chrono CMake configuration gives me:

Searching for MPI...

MPI compiler: MPI_CXX_COMPILER-NOTFOUND

MPI compile flags:

MPI include path: C:/Program Files (x86)/Microsoft SDKs/MPI/Include

MPI link flags:

MPI libraries: C:/Program Files (x86)/Microsoft SDKs/MPI/Lib/x64/msmpi.lib

MPIEXEC: C:/Program Files/Microsoft MPI/Bin/mpiexec.exe

MPIEXEC_NUMPROC_FLAG: -n

MPIEXEC_PREFLAGS:

MPIEXEC_POSTFLAGS:

--Radu

Prakhar Gupta

Dec 7, 2023, 2:17:23 PM12/7/23
to ProjectChrono
Thanks,
This worked - I was missing a couple environment variables out of the 5 and I wasn't sure which ones. I am able to build and run it now.

Prakhar