Re-shape a body during simulation

Guan Yu

Jul 3, 2022, 11:12:20 PM7/3/22
to ProjectChrono
Hi all,

I would like to ask if I can re-shape a body during a simulation, for example, a bar that has the length becoming shorter based on a constant rate? Or, can I change the density of a body during a simulation?

If these are possible, what would be a proper way to realize?

Thank you in advance,
Best,
Yu

Radu Serban

Jul 4, 2022, 2:48:05 AM7/4/22
to ProjectChrono

Yu,

Are you interested in rigid or flexible bodies?

Assuming rigid bodies, keep in mind that “shape” is relevant only if you have collisions. If you do not, you can simply update the body mass and inertia inside your simulation loop.  If you do have contacts, you could also change the collision shape during simulation, but that will affect more computational cost.

--Radu

Guan Yu

Jul 4, 2022, 4:31:06 AM7/4/22
to ProjectChrono