Problem with the physics of the distance traveled by a robot.

Kakkonto

May 29, 2024, 10:27:37 AMMay 29
to ProjectChrono

Hello everyone,

Thank you so much for developing chrono. I have always used dynamics simulation.
This time, I have been struggling for a long time with the discrepancy from the real phenomena and I would like to ask you a question.

I am currently incorporating a robot of my own and implementing the simulation. The structure is based on the robot's curiosity.

I adopted SCM and NSC for the terrain and moved the robot. And when I measured the distance traveled, it was advancing more than the theoretical value. Here, the theoretical value is the average speed derived from w rad/s , the average value of angular velocity of tire rotation for each time step, and the radius of tire r. Then, the theoretical value was derived by multiplying by the travel time and compared. Then, for some reason, the distance traveled in the simulation was greater than the distance that should have been traveled theoretically.

This is an impossible situation, and even with the SCM in place and ruts and other slippage observable, the simulated value is greater than the theoretical value.

So far, these values have remained the same even though we have changed the time step (0.001 seconds), the value of inertia, the value of soil parameter, and so on,.
I would like to know if you have any idea as to the reason for this.
Please, please help me.

Thank you, and kind regards,

Kakkonto

Dan Negrut

May 29, 2024, 12:51:56 PMMay 29
to Kakkonto, ProjectChrono

Would it be possible to share your model with us? We’d like to understand what goes on.

You can email it directly to us in case you don’t want to share with the entire forum.

Thank you, Kakkonto!

Dan

Bernard A. and Frances M. Weideman Professor

NVIDIA CUDA Fellow

Department of Mechanical Engineering

Department of Computer Science

University of Wisconsin - Madison