DEME Sim

Mohammad Wasfi

Apr 16, 2023, 12:35:58 AM4/16/23
to ProjectChrono
Hello,

This is a DEME package-related question.

I am trying to simulate a bed of particles containing different particle sizes. The sizes of the particles follow a normal distribution (kind of). I have settled the bed with no problems. Then I tried to drop a screw geometry on top of the bed and simulate its movement. However, my simulation fails after 41 frames (about half of the simulation). The error file gives the following error:
*** Error in `./src/demo/DistBed': corrupted double-linked list: 0x0000000004f17ee0 ***
/var/spool/slurmd/job20177624/slurm_script: line 25: 263435 Segmentation fault      ./src/demo/DistBed.

I am not really sure what this error means and when I animated the simulation everything looked okay. I tried to reduce the step size and re-ran the simulation, but it failed at the same frame. On the other hand, I reran the simulation with one particle size (0.0015) and it ran with no issues. I was wondering if you have any idea of what the error is. I have attached the error and output files for your reference. Please let me know if any additional information is needed.

Thank you in advance,

slurm.20177624.err
slurm.20177624.out
DistBed.cpp

Ruochun Zhang

Apr 16, 2023, 12:54:03 AM4/16/23
to Mohammad Wasfi, ProjectChrono
Hi Mohammad,

Much to my chagrin, the support for 65536 types of clumps (used to be only 256 types) is added only in a recent update. I suppose you were using an older version and it's the first time that you've tried 4000 types of clump templates? If this is the case, please pull the newest main branch, merge it into your working branch, then rebuild it in an empty folder (yes, this update touches a lot of data type stuff and a clear rebuild is needed). I hope this will fix the problem.

Thank you,
Ruochun