Troubles compiling DEM-E (VS/CUDA incompatibility ?)

Victor Michel

Jun 27, 2024, 2:00:39 AM (6 days ago) Jun 27
to ProjectChrono
Hello, I'm a grad master student trying to compile DEM-E to then use it as a library in a C++ project.

After cloning the Github repository I tried generating the build environment using the CMake GUI but I get an error during the Configuration (I copied the whole thing in the .txt file attached).

It seems there is an incompatibility with my version of Visual Studio 2022 (19.40.33811) and my version of CUDA (12.0.0) : #error: -- unsupported Microsoft Visual Studio version! Only the versions between 2017 and 2022 (inclusive) are supported! The nvcc flag '-allow-unsupported-compiler' can be used to override this version check; however, using an unsupported host compiler may cause compilation failure or incorrect run time execution. Use at your own risk.
I tried adding the suggested flag in the CMakeLists but it didn't change anything.

If someone has a suggestion as to what I can do to solve this issue I would be very grateful !

Also it might be worth noting that I'm trying to compile on Windows. I've read in past posts here that the compilation wasn't supported on Windows at the time, but it also seemed to be indicated in the README file back then, and I can't find this indication in the present one, so I assumed that this compilation issue on Windows was fixed but maybe I was wrong ?

Thank you for your help !
Victor
error.txt

Radu Serban

Jun 27, 2024, 2:12:16 AM (6 days ago) Jun 27
to ProjectChrono

Victor, these are two separate issues.

As far as I know, DEME still cannot be built on Windows.

The VS/CUDA incompatibility you mention is not a Chrono issue per se.  Indeed, CUDA 12 makes a check for MSVC version less than 1940 which is what the latest VS 2022 17.10.3 defines.

To continue using CUDA 12.0, the only solution here is to roll back to an earlier version of VS.  (Keep in mind that Chrono was not yet updated to use a CUDA version newer than 12.3 which has the same compatibility issue with the latest VS).

--Radu

Message has been deleted

Ruochun Zhang

Jun 27, 2024, 7:56:22 AM (6 days ago) Jun 27
to ProjectChrono
Hi Victor,

As Radu indicated, DEME does not yet run on Windows (it should be able to build on Windows). However, I am looking into it in my free time and there might be some leads. Again, will let everyone know if it is fixed.

Ruochun

Victor Michel

Jun 28, 2024, 9:13:22 AM (5 days ago) Jun 28
to ProjectChrono
Okay, thank you very much for your answer. I'll try to compile it on linux and find a way to roll back VS.