Linear beam model

Nicolas CORTES

Jun 18, 2024, 7:18:37 AMJun 18
to ProjectChrono
Hello !
I would like to compare the behaviour of a linear beam model versus the corotated Euler Bernoulli beam model.
Is there a linear Euler Bernoulli beam model in Chrono ?
Or is it possible to only take the first iteration of the Newton during the resolution of the corotated Euler beam in order to ignore the non linear resolution ?

I tried to set the maximum iteration of the ChTimestepperHHT to 1 with timestepper.SetMaxiters(1) but it did not worked because the timestepper reached its minimum time step...
I also tried timestepper.SetStepControl(False) and timestepper.SetMaxItersSuccess(0) but without sucess.

Thank you for your help,
Best regards,

chao peng

Jun 19, 2024, 3:50:08 PM (13 days ago) Jun 19
to ProjectChrono

Hi Nocolas,

You might want to try using ChElementBeamEuler::SetDisableCorotate(true) in your test. If the beam structure does not undergo large rotations, the Corotated Euler Bernoulli beam element might (hopefully) simplify to the linear case. However, I cannot be completely certain of this outcome.

If large rotations are present in your system, it won't be possible to simplify to the linear case, as finite rotations are a primary source of geometrical nonlinearity.

Good luck!

Chao PENG.

Nicolas CORTES

Jun 28, 2024, 7:51:50 AM (5 days ago) Jun 28
to ProjectChrono
Hi !
Thank you for the help !
I tried to use ChElementBeamEuler::SetDisableCorotate(true) for a straight beam and the behaviour of the beam seems linear as there is no displacement along the span direction.
However, compared to an analytical calculation (red) and results from a thesis (gray), the deflection is overestimated by the linear model of Chrono...
Best regards,
Nicolas
shape_beam_LvsNL_Frep_Theo.png