Project Chrono Custom Vehicle Tutorial

Nicola Misurati

Feb 21, 2022, 4:59:35 PM2/21/22
to ProjectChrono
Hello,

I am working on a project where I am implementing the Husky robot in Project Chrono. I implemented the model using SolidWorks export first. Now, I would like to use the vehicle model to implement the same because the control granularity is more suited to our needs.
1. From my reading of the documentation of the vehicle module, I think I need to use one of the vehicles (ex: HMMWV) and modify it to use for my purpose. Is this right?
2. If I were to use such models, could you give any information regarding how to edit the geometrical dimensions to fit our custom model. And any further information regarding visualization of it.

Thank you
Nicola
- Clemson University

Radu Serban

Feb 22, 2022, 2:26:00 AM2/22/22
to ProjectChrono

Nicola,

For a model of this particular robot, I would not recommend using the Chrono::Vehicle module.  Indeed, the Husky is a very simple mechanical system (one of their selling points is precisely that it has very few moving parts).  Instead, model this directly in Chrono, using as an example one of the existing rover models (for example, Viper or Turtlebot).

--Radu

Message has been deleted

Nicola Misurati

Feb 22, 2022, 8:58:13 AM2/22/22
to ProjectChrono
Thanks for the answer Radu,

Can I still make use of the tire models from the vehicle class if I create the husky from existing rover models?

And another question, can one expect a higher model fidelity if modeled using the rover template as opposed to importing from SolidWorks?

Nicola
- Clemson University