FSI with external flow solver

蔡加正 Chia-Cheng Tsai

Feb 25, 2022, 10:58:49 PM2/25/22
to ProjectChrono

Dear Chrono friends:

In addition to the Chrono-FSI, I would like to implement a FSI solver that two-way couples the multibody solver chrono and an external flow solver vortexje. The vortexje was previously coupled to the mbdyn. And I plan to reply the mbdyn by the modern multibody solvre chrono. Additionally, this coupling can be further extended to other morden flow solvers. For example, it is about to simulate the pendulum motion in water.

To do that, I need to set external force and torque from the external flow solver to the chrono at every time step. I notice that there are the DoStepDynamics, Accumulate_force, and Accumulate_torque which are suitable for my use. I don't know if there is a demo code for their use.

Best regard
CC

Dan Negrut

Feb 26, 2022, 10:21:24 AM2/26/22
to tsaich...@gmail.com, ProjectChrono

Hi – I think that your best bet is to look who DualSPHysics interface their CDF solver to Chrono.

Dan

Bernard A. and Frances M. Weideman Professor

NVIDIA CUDA Fellow

Director, Wisconsin Applied Computing Center

Department of Mechanical Engineering

Department of Computer Science

University of Wisconsin - Madison

4150ME, 1513 University Avenue

Madison, WI 53706-1572

608 772 0914

http://sbel.wisc.edu/

http://projectchrono.org/

Radu Serban

Feb 26, 2022, 2:39:45 PM2/26/22
to ProjectChrono

Hi CC,

You can find such an example of coupling subsystems in the vehicle co-simulation module I recently implemented.  That is a (slightly) different application area, but the principles are the exact same.  In fact, one of the options in there is to use the Chrono::FSI module as one of the options for deformable terrain for which interaction with a multibody system of a vehicle is done precisely in a force-displacement co-simulation framework like you describe.

To answer your concrete question, look at how tire forces and moments are applied to the spindle bodies in the vehicle MBS.  For example, see the function ChVehicleCosimRigNode::ApplySpindleForce which uses precisely the force accumulators to do this.

An alternative is to use a ChLoadBodyForce object.  See for example demo_IRR_link_bushing.cpp where this mechanism is used to add a force acting on a body; you can change the value of the force at any time using ChLoadBodyForce:: SetForce() which is what you’d have to do for your coupling.

Please let us know how this is going.  In fact, you may want to take a closer look at the vehicle/terrain co-simulation framework which is also design to work with an arbitrary external terramechanics code, much like what you envision for FSI.

--Radu