partition-rebalance eta?

18 views
Skip to first unread message

Dain Sundstrom

unread,
Mar 29, 2009, 7:22:49 PM3/29/09
to project-...@googlegroups.com
Is there an eta on the partition-rebalance work? days, weeks, months?

if it is months, is there anything I can do to help it along?

-dain

ijuma

unread,
Mar 29, 2009, 7:27:21 PM3/29/09
to project-voldemort
On Mar 30, 12:22 am, Dain Sundstrom <d...@iq80.com> wrote:
> Is there an eta on the partition-rebalance work?  days, weeks, months?

Not sure if you saw Jay's reply on the other thread:

"As for where Bhupesh's rebalancing branch is, the problem is that
Bhupesh is trying to implement rebalancing which is itself a very,
very large feature. In order to keep things progressing I think we are
going to try to break that into pieces and get the pieces merged in as
soon as possible. Two logical first steps would be the AdminService
mechanism that will contain all the administrative/subscription type
APIs (things the client shouldn't use), and the metadata expiratation
piece. Each of these are valuable in their own right and would unblock
other things even without providing the full rebalancing capability. "

It doesn't give an ETA, but provides some context.

Best,
Ismael

Jay Kreps

unread,
Mar 29, 2009, 7:45:01 PM3/29/09
to project-...@googlegroups.com
Well it is definitely more than days, and yes help would be very much
appreciated. Let me sit down and go over what Bhupesh has with him
tomorrow, and let's try to break this into more granular pieces that
can be split up. A number of people have expressed interest in this
and I think it is bottlenecking a bit on us, which is bad.

-Jay

bhupesh bansal

unread,
Mar 30, 2009, 2:02:19 AM3/30/09
to project-...@googlegroups.com
Yes Guys, 

I agree .. looks like its a bad bottleneck and I don't see myself getting free in next one week to do 
substantial contributions. 

Jay, 

Lets definitely spend time to break jobs into more modular pieces and folks can pick and fix different pieces. 

Best
Bhupesh

Bhupesh Bansal @ Linkedin

unread,
Mar 30, 2009, 9:35:27 PM3/30/09
to project-voldemort
Hey folks,

I have sub-divided partition rebalance into 5 Sub-issues

http://code.google.com/p/project-voldemort/issues/list?can=2&q=Partition+sub+task&colspec=ID+Type+Status+Priority+Milestone+Owner+Summary&cells=tiles

The working branch is https://project-voldemort.googlecode.com/svn/branches/partition-rebalance2
I will try to separate all the changes and put individual patches
against each sub-task with the current code with TODO's and possible
enhancements.

Lets get this done as lot many features request are blocked on this

Best
Bhupesh


On Mar 29, 11:02 pm, bhupesh bansal <bbansal....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes Guys,
> I agree .. looks like its a bad bottleneck and I don't see myself getting
> free in next one week to do
> substantial contributions.
>
> Jay,
>
> Lets definitely spend time to break jobs into more modular pieces and folks
> can pick and fix different pieces.
>
> Best
> Bhupesh
>
> On Sun, Mar 29, 2009 at 4:45 PM, Jay Kreps <jay.kr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Well it is definitely more than days, and yes help would be very much
> > appreciated. Let me sit down and go over what Bhupesh has with him
> > tomorrow, and let's try to break this into more granular pieces that
> > can be split up. A number of people have expressed interest in this
> > and I think it is bottlenecking a bit on us, which is bad.
>
> > -Jay
>

Dain Sundstrom

unread,
Apr 19, 2009, 4:38:17 PM4/19/09
to project-...@googlegroups.com
It appears that each sub task has a patch. Is this feature complete?
If not, what is missing?

-dain

bhupesh bansal

unread,
Apr 19, 2009, 5:37:15 PM4/19/09
to project-...@googlegroups.com
Dain,

Three of the five patches are complete and will be pushed to trunk after code-reviews and iterations.

sub-task 4 and 5 need some more work, I can help you get started in contributing to them if you are interested.

Best
Bhupesh
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages