Help with implicit differentiation question

Lisa Kilmartin

Jun 15, 2022, 12:30:20 PM6/15/22
to projec...@googlegroups.com
Hi there,
I wondered if anyone can help with this question on motion of a particle on a curve, I keep on getting a negative answer when we are told y is increasing. Any help really appreciated.
Thanks,
Lisa

Screen Shot 2022-06-15 at 17.26.06.png
Screen Shot 2022-06-15 at 17.26.23.png

Lucy de Faoite

Jun 15, 2022, 1:48:24 PM6/15/22
to projec...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Just did it quickly on train so chance there's a mistake but I got 0.64. Photo attached.

Lucy

Screenshot_2022-06-15-18-47-14-90_6f8f7a6a69f2aa2976412416ecb84f7a.jpg

Lisa Kilmartin

Jun 15, 2022, 3:17:11 PM6/15/22
to projec...@googlegroups.com
Thank you!
 Is the first line dy/dx? Is that product rule?
I used rules of logs then derivative. I got similar answer but - negative. Your answer is correct thanks so much, I’m just struggling to see dy/dx.
Lisa

Cian Finn

Jun 15, 2022, 7:21:17 PM6/15/22
to projec...@googlegroups.com
Hi Lucy,

Can you post the original question. I can't seem to see it in your post. Implicit differentiation is no longer on the LCHL course as far as I know.

Cian

Lucy de Faoite

Jun 16, 2022, 4:24:35 AM6/16/22
to projec...@googlegroups.com
It's in Lisa's original email. It's related rates of change, not implicit differentiation.