Phd research with maths teachers on problem-solving

Aoibhinn Ni Shuilleabhain

Sep 27, 2021, 4:52:36 PM9/27/21
to projec...@googlegroups.com
Dear Administrator,

Might it be possible to post this message from my PhD student please?
She is hoping to interview teachers about CBA1 and problem solving.
Many thanks,

Aoibhinn

******

Dear Teacher,

I am a former mathematics teacher and current PhD student in the UCD School of Mathematics & Statistics. I am hoping to conduct research into problem-solving in the post-primary mathematics classroom and would like to hear teachers’ opinions on the current curriculum and classroom supports available to them around problem-solving. I intend to use this research to help design a set of resources and professional development opportunity to support teachers with teaching problem-solving and the associated CBA at Junior Cycle.

I would like to speak with teachers who have conducted the Mathematical Investigations CBA in order to listen to their experiences and opinions around problem-solving and the CBA.

Should you choose to take part in this study, I would ask you to fill in this brief survey with some introductory information on your teaching experience [link to teacher survey]. I will be choosing approximately 30 teachers to interview based on a broad range of teaching experiences and geographical spread. If you are among the 30 teachers invited to participate, I would ask to interview you via Zoom at a time convenient to you. The interview would last approximately 45minutes and would be audio-recorded for research purposes (no video-recording will take place). Once interviewed, your data will be anonymised within the research and your identity will only be accessed by myself and my supervisor, Dr. Aoibhinn Ní Shúilleabháin. You will be able to remove yourself from the study at any time, up until the point of publication of the PhD thesis.  If you are not chosen for interview then the details you have provided will be deleted and will have no association with the research.

If you have any questions about the research please feel free to contact me at roisin.n...@ucdconnect.ie or my supervisor at aoibhinn.nis...@ucd.ie.

Thank you for taking the time to consider participating in this research.

Yours sincerely,

Róisín Neururer

Fergal O'Neill

Sep 27, 2021, 6:05:06 PM9/27/21
to projec...@googlegroups.com
Hi Aoibhinn,
Yes that's no problem at all since it very much a real topic of conversation and consternation amongst so many!

Best wishes!

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:
The contents of this email message and any attachments are intended solely for the addressee(s) and may contain confidential and/or privileged information and may be legally protected from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient of this message or their agent, or if this message has been addressed to you in error, please immediately alert the sender by reply email and then delete this message and any attachments. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, dissemination, copying, or storage of this message or its attachments is
strictly prohibited.