Good Maths for Computer Science/Programming Sources

Stephen Lawless

Nov 16, 2023, 6:27:02 AM11/16/23
to Project Maths
Hi all,

I'm looking for any good sources of maths for computer science/programming. I find that almost everything I find out there is actually closer to computer science for maths (i.e how can computers be used to solve this maths problem), or just very heavy on the maths without much emphasis on the computer. For example I have found lots of material on how arrays can be used to represent matrices and how can we do different matrices problems with arrays, but little mention of why programmers would need to use matrices at all (perhaps vague mentions of networks etc).

I'd like to see, e.g. here is a computer science problem, now here is how maths can help us come up with efficient algorithms for solving the problem. A great example I have found is for finding prime numbers (needed for cryptography), with discussions of how to avoid checking certain numbers and reducing the number of calculations required, introducing the sieve of Erathosthenes, Mersenne Primes, though I haven't found all this in one place.

BW,
Stephen