LC higher level 2016 P2 Q.9

Lisa Kilmartin

Mar 10, 2021, 1:15:36 PM3/10/21
to projec...@googlegroups.com
Hi there,

I wondered if I could ask a question regarding a (ii).
when looking up 10% i.e. finding 0,9000 p value and then the z value for this,
why is z=1.28  (= -1.28 as 10%) taken as that is still in the 80 % range? 0.8997 , so this will not be in the lowest 10% , but in the 11th %, 10.03%

I am not seeing this right? Any help at all would be appreciated.
Many thanks,
Lisa

LCHL2016P2.pdf

Lucy de Faoite

Mar 10, 2021, 2:08:52 PM3/10/21
to projec...@googlegroups.com
I think might just be a case of the 1.28 z-score being closer to 90% than 1.29.

Lisa Kilmartin

Mar 11, 2021, 5:17:12 AM3/11/21
to projec...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Lucy, yes but in a 2020 Q. 8 there is a similar Q but they have used the zvalue  in the 75% (25%) region as was asked for so I just wondered if there is some rule that we can tell students as it seems to change which value is correct.
Thanks for any help,
All the best, Lisa

Lucy de Faoite

Mar 11, 2021, 5:44:43 AM3/11/21
to projec...@googlegroups.com
If you for 0.67 as the z-score in 2020, you won't get a score that would be in the highest 25%? But with 0.68 will give you the score needed.

And with 2016, I know it's 0.03 out but you'll still be in the lowest 10%. Only reason I can think of.

Trish Mulcahy

Mar 11, 2021, 6:31:53 AM3/11/21
to projec...@googlegroups.com
Hi Lucy,

That’s my understanding too. You have to check the validity of your solution based on the specific situation of the question

Trish

Mar 11, 2021, 8:10:01 AM3/11/21
to projec...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for getting back to me, I appreciate that.
I think it is a difficult one to explain to students, how do they decide, based on the specific situation of the question?

Lisa