Lombok Support Timeline

Cristiane Danna

Jun 27, 2024, 2:12:39 PMJun 27
to Project Lombok
Hi all,

Is there a support timeline for Lombok?
I need to know the EOVS and/or EOL for a couple of versions: 1.16.8 and 1.18.12

Are you able to assist?

Kind regards,
Cristiane

Reinier Zwitserloot

Jun 29, 2024, 6:42:53 AMJun 29
to project...@googlegroups.com
Hi Cristiane,

Lombok remains backwards compatible. Hence, we support old versions by releasing new versions.

In other words:

  • Lombok is open source. As the license clearly establishes, and as all open source projects simply are, there is absolutely no support in any way whatsoever, period.
  • We maintain lombok by... releasing new versions. You should always be at the latest version.
  • Nevertheless, if somehow a security leak shows up, we will communicate that as best we can, via all available channels. See point 1 about guarantees about this behaviour (it isn't guaranteed, in any way, - this is how open source works. There is no support contract, nor is one available). So, we try to. With no obligations.

The concept 'EOL' applies to some sort of agreed-upon support relationship. Lombok does not offer such a relationship; pretty much no open source software does. So, to answer your question, it depends on what 'support' means to you:

  • Legal definition: There is no support. They are all EOL; the concept does not apply. And all open source works that way.
  • Practical definition: The latest version is the version you should be using; all other versions will never see another update. There is only one release channel.
  • Security definition: Whilst keeping in mind the legal definition, any security vulnerability we know about, in any version of lombok, will be communicated, and of course fixed - but that fix would be rolled out in the next version.

There should be no reason to ever hold back on a lombok version. We are not aware of any security issues; not with the current release nor with any version lombok has ever released.

 --Reinier Zwitserloot