RFC: Relay protocol specs - v0.1-draft2

Péter Szilágyi

May 27, 2014, 3:02:56 PM5/27/14
to projec...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

  I've polished the relay protocol (i.e. the one between Iris and its language bindings). Among others, the most notable updates are:
  • Added magic strings during handshake to ensure Iris components are talking to each other, and also added version negotiation support (not used for now, just reserved for later).
  • Added a reason string to unexpected closures (both relay connection and tunnel), to prevent silent/unexpected/unknown failures.
  • Extended the reply message in the req/rep scheme to cater for error messages (i.e. so clients can return meaningful errors without requiring a wrapping message to be defined for it).
  • Reworked the tunnel to support message chunking, throttle based on message size (opposed to message count as previously). Simplified QoS parameter negotiation.
  The spec is not yet implemented, but I thought I'd release it into the wild if anyone has any feedback, comment, problem, etc with it :)

Cheers,
  Peter