[CLA] Proofreading words with Diacritics (non-native English, or Thai characters)

Emil

Apr 15, 2011, 11:23:56 PM4/15/11
to Project Gutenberg Thailand
Hi everyone,

I'd like to pose a question. What do you think would be the best way
to proofread words that contain non-native characters? "Turpin's
History of Siam" contains quite a few French words that contain one
form of diacritic marking or another.

One example I have come across is the French noun "tête-à-
tête" (actually written "tête à tête"). I have to date not been able
to think of a suitable way to indicate these different inflections and
have resorted to denoting their presence by preceding the first word
with what I like to call The Three Hats Calling Card ("^^^"). E.g.
"^^^tete a tete".

In case you weren't aware yet, the three hats are used to draw the
post-processor's (the person who puts the ebook together) attention
that he/she needs to compare the original image with the proofed text
before making the final proofing/formatting call. This is a cumbersome
process and I would appreciate any suggestions to minimise the number
of hats floating around in a text.

ขอบคุณนะครับ

Emil

rikker

Apr 15, 2011, 11:57:20 PM4/15/11
to Project Gutenberg Thailand
Thanks for getting the ball rolling with the Google Group, Emil.

This is something I'd like to add to the proofing/typing interface
ASAP. So hopefully this will be a short term issue.

For now you can either use a character map program (one comes with
your OS--on Windows just run charmap.exe from the Start Menu; don't
know about Mac) or else use ^^^ to mark it for later correcting. If
anyone has been igniring the accents so far, don't sweat it. On these
early titles I'll be sure to do some extra checking as we're improving
the system and establishing proofing conventions.