Missing next free IP

M. Stadler

Aug 1, 2013, 12:09:34 PM8/1/13
to projec...@googlegroups.com
Hi

I was playing around with Network setup. I wanted to change the IP address of on of the vms with fifo, but I could not do that. Then I deleted the Interface in the GUI, but this does break the view of the machine in fifo. I had an entry line for the machine, but no text anymore and could not select it for edit. Then I deleted the whole vm with vmadm from the hypervisor, but this does not delete it in fifo, so I deleted it in fifo as well. Now the vm is deleted everywhere, but the IP in the GUI seems to be blocked. When I try to create a new machine I do not get the old IP as next free IP. How is this calculated? Where can I fix this?

Regards,

Marco

Heinz Nikolaus Gies

Aug 1, 2013, 12:29:09 PM8/1/13
to projec...@googlegroups.com
Hi Marco,
things are not necessarily broken to begin with, the rules of handing out IP's are as following:

Hand out the latest returned IP until there are no returned IP's any more then hand out the next free one.

Releasing this ip manually can be done via the command: fifoadm ipranges release <uuid of the iprange> <ip>

Cheers,
Heinz

signature.asc

Marco Stadler

Aug 2, 2013, 2:28:53 AM8/2/13
to projec...@googlegroups.com
Hi Heinz

Am 01.08.13 18:29, schrieb Heinz Nikolaus Gies:
Releasing this ip manually can be done via the command: fifoadm ipranges release <uuid of the iprange> <ip>

Unfortunately this command does not work (IPs changed):

root@fifo /opt/local/sniffle/bin]# fifoadm networks release 0a59c6e5-7ce1-46f9-b9af-438325bad642 123.123.123.123
Unknown parameters: ["release","0a59c6e5-7ce1-46f9-b9af-438325bad642",
                     "123.123.123.123"]

Also with sniffle-admin directly is does not work. The argument ipranges does also not exist. I guess we have to do it within the console somehow.

Regards

Marco

Heinz Nikolaus Gies

Aug 2, 2013, 4:14:30 AM8/2/13
to projec...@googlegroups.com
then you're probably not running dev, it's not supported in current stable FiFo you can wait a few days until current dev is released as stable.

Cheers,
Heinz
signature.asc

Marco Stadler

Aug 2, 2013, 5:22:32 AM8/2/13
to projec...@googlegroups.com
Hi Heinz

Am 02.08.13 10:14, schrieb Heinz Nikolaus Gies:
then you're probably not running dev, it's not supported in current stable FiFo you can wait a few days until current dev is released as stable.

Since I need to setup the VM with this IP again, I need to free it up now. Is it possible to go from stable to dev just with modifying the repo URL and update the packages? When you release this in stable I can go back to stable repo URL, right?

Regards,

Marco

Heinz Nikolaus Gies

Aug 2, 2013, 6:06:49 AM8/2/13
to projec...@googlegroups.com
Yes you can go from stable to dev and back to stable but ONLY when you go forward in versions, aka you can go form 0.3.8stable -> 0.4.1dev -> 0.4.1stable but you can't go to a earlier version.

Cheers,
Heinz

signature.asc

Marco Stadler

Aug 2, 2013, 10:18:25 AM8/2/13
to projec...@googlegroups.com
Hi Heinz

I have now updated to the latest dev version, but I still do not find this argument on fifoadm

[root@fifo ~]# pkgin install snarl sniffle howl wiggle jingles
calculating dependencies... done.

5 packages to be upgraded: snarl-0.3.8p2 sniffle-0.3.8 howl-0.1.8 wiggle-0.4.9p2 jingles-0.1.9p1

5 packages to be installed: snarl-0.4.1pre20130731T133801Z sniffle-0.4.1pre20130802T082037Z howl-0.1.9pre20130731T134413Z wiggle-0.5.0pre20130723T170057Z jingles-0.2.0pre20130723T205017Z (91M to download, 0B to install)

proceed ? [Y/n] Y

[root@fifo ~]# fifoadm networks release 0a59c6e5-7ce1-46f9-b9af-438325bad642 123.123.123.123

Unknown parameters: ["release","0a59c6e5-7ce1-46f9-b9af-438325bad642",
                     "123.123.123.123"]

[root@fifo ~]# fifoadm
Unknown command , valid are:
  snarl:   groups, users
  sniffle: vms, hypervisors, packages, datasets, networks, dtrace
  general: help

[root@fifo ~]# /opt/local/sniffle/bin/sniffle-admin
Usage: sniffle-admin { join | leave | reip | ringready | remove |
                 services | wait-for-service | member_status |
                 ring_status | vms | hypervisors | packages |
                 datasets | networks }

Any idea?

Regards,

Marco