🎉 Contour 1.24 Released + A Community Meeting

Project Contour

Feb 2, 2023, 4:09:49 PM2/2/23
to Project Contour

We’ve got two big announcements! We’re celebrating the release of Contour v1.24 and a Community Meeting we’re hosting soon.

First: The release!

Contour 1.24.0 is out. We’ve got a host of changes for you. You can read the full release notes here. The main things we want to draw to your attention are:

  • Contour now supports Gateway API v0.6.0, and passes all associated core and extended conformance tests. See the Gateway API release notes for more information.

  • New functionality for client certificates, including:

    • HTTPProxy now supports passing certificate data through the x-forwarded-client-cert header to let applications use details from client certificates

    • It’s now possible to have Contour request a client certificate and validate it if provided, but allow the request to proceed if one is not provided. This supports applications with multiple possible authentication schemes.

  • The Gateway provisioner/ContourDeployment CRD supports additional functionality, including customizing update strategy and external traffic policy, and using Listener port values to set NodePorts when provisioning a NodePort service.

  • We’ve made some improvements to processing of Secrets, Services, and other resources that should make Contour more efficient

We’re especially grateful that in this release we’ve had so much community participation. Thank you so much to Vishal-Chdhry, fangfpeng, gautierdelorme, izturn, moeyui1, rajatvig, theVJagrawal, vmw-yingy, vroldanbet, and yangyy93. As an open source project, we need contributions from folks like you and we’re very grateful. If you’d like to become a contributor, please let us know so we can support you on that journey.

Second: An Ad Hoc Community Meeting Tuesday, February 14, 2023 at 9 AM Pacific (click for your time zone)
As you may know, our Community Meetings have been on hiatus. We have had a request in our Slack channel to bring them back. In addition, we have been seeing a lot of amazing community-submitted design proposals and community participation in the project. We want to give you an opportunity to meet with the maintainers in real time to discuss the project, the roadmap, and anything else to do with your experience using Contour. Your input and feedback is critical to the success of the project and we hope to see you there. You can check out the agenda and add your own discussion topics here. The meeting invitation will go out to our email list next week.

Warmly,

Nigel Brown, Contour Community Manager, and the rest of the Contour Team