Robot Poser Connection Problem

Andy Carter

Jan 17, 2015, 4:54:29 AM1/17/15
to projec...@googlegroups.com
Hi All

I've built my ROFI but I can't calibrate as I can't connect to the Poser program. All my other COM programs (ARDUINO IDE, etc) work fine. I have the computer control sketch loaded on the Mega 2560 but the Poser program shows.

My Arduino Mega 2560 is a clone that uses CH340

Andy

Andy Carter

Jan 17, 2015, 7:42:18 AM1/17/15
to projec...@googlegroups.com
Done some more diagnosis by looking at the computer remote control sketch.

If I use the serial monitor in the IDE set to 9600 baud I get a string of repeating 'rofi' as soon as I send 'hi' back I get the string 'connected'. I would assume from this that the Arduino of ROFI is working correctly so it must be an issue with the Robot Poser application on my Windows 7 laptop. I can't find the source code for the ROFI Robot Poser, although the FOBO Robot Poser code seems to be available.

At this point I'm stuck. Pending some help from here I've ordered a genuine Arduino which takes my clone CH340 comms out of the equation. I'll post back when it arrives if it fixes the problem

Jonathan Dowdall

Jan 17, 2015, 9:48:43 AM1/17/15
to projec...@googlegroups.com

The robot poser program has a maximum number of com ports that it checks up to  ( 32 I think).  Try forcing your mega to have a lower com port number in the Windows (operating system) control panel. Let me know if that doesn't fix it.

Andy Carter

Jan 17, 2015, 12:46:38 PM1/17/15
to projec...@googlegroups.com
Hi jonathan

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly

The com port being used is either 16 or 23 depending which USB port on my machine I use. Would it be useful to go single digit?

Andy

Jonathan Dowdall

Jan 19, 2015, 12:54:10 PM1/19/15
to projec...@googlegroups.com

Andy,

No that isn't the issue then. Things to check :

1. Is your 3d printer plugged in? My 3d printer is a replicator 2 and I can't connect to a mega board when the makerbot service is running.

2. Is the arduino serial monitor still connected to that com port? If so it will keep the robot poser from being able to detect ROFI.

Jonathan

Andy Carter

Jan 19, 2015, 1:40:05 PM1/19/15
to projec...@googlegroups.com
No nothing else is accessing the port. Arduino IDE isn't running and my 3D printer is unplugged. I've rebooted the laptop and then plugged in the Arduino Mega for ROFI and then run the Robot Poser program. Could it be the CH340 interface on the Mega, as opposed to the normal FTDI interface?

Andy Carter

Jan 24, 2015, 4:05:09 AM1/24/15
to projec...@googlegroups.com
Moving to a 'proper' Arduino with the FTDI USB interface fixed the problem. Now all I have to do is work out the calibration! lol

Jonathan Dowdall

Jan 24, 2015, 1:26:18 PM1/24/15
to projec...@googlegroups.com

Glad to hear that fixed it! Very strange that it wouldn't connect given that you could see the proper output on the serial monitor.

Henry Cabral Nunes

Feb 15, 2016, 3:43:30 PM2/15/16
to Project Biped
Hi, i am having the same problem using an Arduino Micro (not generic).

I can open the serial monitor and say hi to ROFI to connect.

But i can't get the COM (3 in the case) in FOBO.

Can this be related to windows 10?