Fobo Custom Board

Thiago Kunz

Oct 19, 2013, 2:15:03 PM10/19/13
to projec...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jonathan.

My niece is 8 yeas old and she loves robots. When I built my 3d printer, the first thing she asked me was 'can you print a robot?'. So, I searched in Thingiverse to see if i could download a model. But when I saw Rofi and Fobo, I was amazed. And she yelled 'this is a dream. I can't believe that we can build one'.
Thank you very much for this project, to turn into reality the dream of my niece.

I've chosen the Fobo to start with. I've printed the parts and bought everything on-line. I made the custom board. But I'm not finding the codes for using with it and it's the fist time I'm working with a decade counter, and so few people around the arduino community uses it. I really don't know where to start.

Other thing, when I bought the mg996r servo and, in Brazil, it doesn't come with the servo horn you're using. So I've drawn one for replacing the original. Can I place it here somewhere?

Here is one photo of my niece, Ana Luiza, placing the last servo cable in the custom board.

Jonathan Dowdall

Oct 20, 2013, 7:08:27 PM10/20/13
to projec...@googlegroups.com
Thiago,
  That's great that you've built a FOBO with your niece! I have many fond memories of making models with my dad during my childhood and that helped steered me into a career in engineering.  I'm sure that Ana will remember your build together fondly!  Unfortunately I've never built the custom board myself, that was something that was done by Andy (he is part of the user community who made a FOBO and designed the custom board then wanted to share). I was under the impression that the board used the same code, you just had to program it with the removable FTDI basic breakout board. Based on the second page of instructions it sounds like the only code change would be if you used a 4pin ultrasonic range sensor (like he did) instead of the 3 pin one I used in the orginal FOBO design (he has the code you'd need to replace on the web page). If you're still having problems you can email him about the code at an...@timmons.co.uk.  Please post back if you either solve the issue or don't hear back from Andy and are still stumped (I'll see if I can help you out).

Thanks,

Jonathan