Reasons for this choice

Jan de Vries

Mar 22, 2022, 1:50:06 AMMar 22
to Project 1619; book discussion

Here are some citations and reviews I found online.

“The 1619 Project: A New Origin Story,” is comprised of 18 essays and 36 poems and works of fiction, highlighting the legacy of slavery in the United States, and how it continues to shape contemporary American life.

“The 1619 Project received harsh criticism for the main conceit of the project, which was that America was not founded in 1776 when it declared its independence from England, but in 1619 when the first African slaves were brought to the colonies and exploited.”

“Project creator Nikole Hannah-Jones was awarded the 2020 Pulitzer Prize for Commentary for her essay. The award cited her "sweeping, provocative and personal essay for the ground-breaking 1619 Project, which seeks to place the enslavement of Africans at the center of America's story, prompting public conversation about the nation's founding and evolution. “

I heard about the book and the controversy it created, but with all the other things going on, I did not really give it attention. I presume that goes for many of us here in Vermont. I see it as my civic duty to know more about the history of slavery and about the controversy it creates right now. Whitewashing slavery is not the same as denial of the holocaust but the similarities are worrying. Let’s talk about it.