WPR Ideas Network - Tues., Nov. 15 Thomas Frank 1 pm

Rick Kisséll

Nov 14, 2016, 9:37:19 PM11/14/16
to Progressive List

WPR'S IDEAS NETWORK DAILY SCHEDULE FOR TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 15, 2016

If you have questions or comments about our programming, contact our Audience Services Center during business hours at 800-747-7444 or email them at list...@wpr.org.

Want to know more about Wisconsin Public Radio? Sign up for our monthly e-Newsletter! You'll get in-depth information on programs, upcoming events, on-air staff, and any special programs coming up in the next month. Sign up at http://wpr.org/radio-waves

(Programming is subject to change. For the latest schedule, please visit http://wpr.org/program-notes )

6:00 AM - The Joy Cardin Show - Post Trump's Triumph: What Do Educators Tell The Children? :
While much of the American population are content with President-elect Donald Trump’s triumph, many teachers are concerned that his rhetoric will influence their students in a negative way. Our guest explain ways educators can teach their students to honor the election results, protect America’s democracy and act as responsible members of a civic society. Guest:  Ali Michael

7:00 AM - The Joy Cardin Show - What's Next For Both The Democratic And Republican Parties?:
While the Democratic Party is left searching for answers after the election of Donald Trump, the Republican Party also has their work cut out for them as they try and determine the direction they’ll take under the new president. We talk with a political scientist about what the future might hold for both parties, and who might fill the leadership gaps left behind by former DNC chair Debbie Wasserman Schultz, who resigned in June, and former RNC chair Reince Preibus, who was just named President-elect Trump’s chief of staff. Guest:  David Schultz

8:00 AM - The Joy Cardin Show, On Your Money - The Best Charitable Giving Tools, Making Sense Of Recent Market News, And Converting IRAs To Roth IRAs :
Giving Tuesday is right around the corner, a global day of giving back by making charitable donations. On this edition of On Your Money, financial planner Kevin McKinley discusses the best tools to help you make the gift that’s right for you. He also discusses when to convert an IRA to a Roth IRA, how to protect your smartphone, and how to make sense of all the recent market news after last Tuesday’s election. Guest:  Kevin McKinley

9:00 AM - On Point - "Draining The Swamp" And The Trump Transition:
Draining the Washington swamp. We’ll look at what that meant on the campaign trail, and what President-elect Trump may actually do.

10:00 AM - On Point - Female Friendship Across Age Lines:
Female friendship across generations. Critic Liesel Schillinger has gone millennial.

11:00 AM - The Larry Meiller Show - The Giving Way To Happiness:
We have all heard that it is better to give than receive. Why is that – what happens to us when we give? Our guest is the author of a book that talks about the pleasure that giving gives us physically and mentally. She also talks about avoiding burn out and how to give the “right way.” Guest:  Jenny Santi

12:30 PM - Chapter A Day - As Good as Gone 2 of 15:
Jim Fleming reads from As Good as Gone by Larry Watson. The novel takes us back to Montana in 1963. Calvin Sidey family (Side-ee), who ran out on his family years ago. He's been an absentee father and barely knows his grandchildren, but now they need him.

1:00 PM - The Kathleen Dunn Show - Are Liberals To Blame For President-Elect Donald Trump?:
Donald Trump is moving into the White House and our guest says liberals put him there. How? By nominating Hillary Clinton, one of the most unpopular candidates in history, in a "change" election. Guest:  Thomas Frank

1:00 PM - To the Best of Our Knowledge - The Edge of the Run:
A lot of science and technology goes into training elite athletes – including some techniques anyone could try. And, if you think a marathon is long, imagine a 3-thousand mile race. We meet the woman who’s run it 13 times.

2:00 PM - The Kathleen Dunn Show - Big Money In School Board Elections:
More and more out-of-state donors are writing very large checks to support candidates and political action committees in local school board elections. After 2:00, we look at this trend and discuss what it can mean for influencing the public school agenda.

3:00 PM - Central Time - News, Using Wood Pulp To Generate Energy Beneath Your Feet, Designing Your Life:
Imagine generating energy just by walking on floorboards. We talk to a researcher studying the potential of wood pulp -- a new source of bio-energy. A design expert who worked for Apple joins us to share insights about how you can use elements of design to build success into your lifestyle. We also get insights on the top news story of the day.

4:00 PM - Central Time - How Wisconsin Schools And Educators Are Handling The 2016 Election, The Origin Of The Wisconsin Idea, News:  The Wisconsin Idea-- the idea that the university system serves the public good -- is a unique element of our state's fabric. We learn about its origins. We also take a look at how elementary, middle and high schools are talking about the new presidential administration, and we get insights on the top news story of the day.

5:00 PM - Central Time - News, Using Wood Pulp To Generate Energy Beneath Your Feet, Designing Your Life:
Imagine generating energy just by walking on floorboards. We talk to a researcher studying the potential of wood pulp -- a new source of bio-energy. A design expert who worked for Apple joins us to share insights about how you can use elements of design to build success into your lifestyle. We also get insights on the top news story of the day.

6:00 PM - Central Time - How Wisconsin Schools And Educators Are Handling The 2016 Election, The Origin Of The Wisconsin Idea, News:  The Wisconsin Idea-- the idea that the university system serves the public good -- is a unique element of our state's fabric. We learn about its origins. We also take a look at how elementary, middle and high schools are talking about the new presidential administration, and we get insights on the top news story of the day.

7:00 PM - Latino USA - One Nation Under Trump:
This week on Latino USA, we digest the results of the 2016 election. We give space to hear what Latinos on both sides of the political divide are feeling right now, from those feeling afraid for their families and their futures, to those celebrating Donald Trump's victory. We also take a close look at how the Latino vote shook out on election night, and how Trump's campaign promises on immigration might translate to policy. Plus, history of "white rage," the election of the first Latina senator in Nevada, and some emotional voicemails from our listeners.

8:00 PM - As It Happens - from CBC Radio:
Hear news and interviews from around the world on As It Happens.

9:00 PM - Q - from the CBC - Eliza Reid:
Def Jam records label head Russell Simmons, publicist Bill Adler, and photographer Ricky Powell share an oral history of The Beastie Boys' debut album, Licensed to Ill on its 30th anniversary. Then, Canadian Eliza Reid, the First Lady of Iceland, discusses the Iceland Writers retreat. Tom Powers hosts this episode of q .

11:00 PM - Chapter A Day - As Good as Gone 2 of 15:
Jim Fleming reads from As Good as Gone by Larry Watson. The novel takes us back to Montana in 1963. Calvin Sidey family (Side-ee), who ran out on his family years ago. He's been an absentee father and barely knows his grandchildren, but now they need him.

11:30 PM - BBC World Service - Programming From The BBC:
Whenever and wherever news breaks, the BBC World Service is there. WPR broadcasts the BBC World Service throughout the night until 6:00 a.m.