Interesting site, some observations.

Neville Dempsey

Dec 5, 2009, 4:02:26 AM12/5/09
to Progopedia
I test drove you site for about 30 minutes. It certainly is going in
the right direction and will get more content with time.

My observations:

A) Links like: http://progopedia.com/language/

Returns: Page not found: Looks like you followed a bad link. If you
think it's our fault, please let us know: ad...@progopedia.com. You
can try to find what you want from Main Page. Or use site search form
(in the left column).

You may want to add a landing point here. (I am expert enough to know
what CMS engine you are using under the hood)

B) It would be nice to have a preview button, so I can view the draft.

C) I suspect that I cam embed HTML in the documents. Being able to
switch into HTML edit mode would be cool.

I have not figured out how to add some code samples yet.... I will get
there, especially if I can do selected language comparisons.

I have some other ideas, but won't burden you I imagine that you have
a ToDo list as long as my arm.

Cheers
NevilleDNZ

Sergey Dimchenko

Dec 7, 2009, 10:08:31 PM12/7/09
to Progopedia
Thanks for your suggestions! We really want more feedback. And sorry
for late answer.

As for your observations.

A). Yes, I plan to put list of all languages at http://progopedia.com/language/,
list of all versions at http://progopedia.com/version/ and so on.

B). I don't know right now the good way to implement preview, but I'll
think about it. For now you can just preview on site - you always can
correct or even delete your unsuccessful attempts.

C). We chose to use markdown - http://daringfireball.net/projects/markdown/syntax
- as mark-up language. Raw html can be source of XXS (cross-site
scripting) attacks. Markdown is also very easy after short learning
period.

Only one thing about markdown I found very unintuitive in the past -
you have to insert blank line before list of it will not work. I
edited your article about algol68 to fix that issue.

And yes, we have long TODO lists ('global' TODO list has 162 lines
right now), but ideas are always welcomed.

Nickolas

Dec 8, 2009, 2:31:48 AM12/8/09
to Progopedia
A note about articles structure: we consider Algol W, 58, 60 and 68 to
be dialects of single language Algol, not separate languages.

Neville Dempsey

Dec 8, 2009, 7:40:17 AM12/8/09
to progo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Nickolas

On Mon, 2009-12-07 at 23:31 -0800, Nickolas wrote:
> A note about articles structure: we consider Algol W, 58, 60 and 68
> be dialects of single language Algol, not separate languages.

Interesting... I had not test driven the dialect button. And - although
obvious now - at the time I wasn't thinking of Algol68 as dialect of
Algol60.

In the following examples you will spot various similarities &
differences. AFAICS based on their actual syntax, the C programming
language could be a dialect of Algol68, and Algol60 could be a dialect
of Fortran.

Compare:
PROGRAM FLOATING POINT TEST
REAL A,B,C,D

READ *,D

DO 1, A = 0.0, 6.3, D
PRINT *
B = SIN(A)
C = COS(A)
PRINT '(3(F9.6:X)$)',A,B,C
1 CONTINUE
PRINT *
END

FLOATING POINT TEST;
BEGIN REAL A,B,C,D;
PRINT PUNCH(3),'Enter d:'
READ D;

FOR A:= 0.0 STEP D UNTIL 6.3 DO
BEGIN
PRINT PUNCH(3),££L??;
B := SIN(A);
C := COS(A);
PRINT PUNCH(3),SAMELINE,ALIGNED(1,6),A,B,C;
END'
END'

floating point test:
(
real a,b,c,d;

printf(($pg$,"Enter d:"));
readf(($g$,d));

for step from 0 while a:=step*d; a <= 2*pi do
printf($l$);
b := sin(a);
c := cos(a);
printf(($z-d.6d$,a,b,c))
od
)

floating_point_test()
{
int step;
float a,b,c,d;

printf("%s","Enter d:");
scanf("%f",&d);

for(step = 0; a=step*d, a <= 2*M_PI; step++){
printf("\n");
b = sin(a);
c = cos(a);
printf("%.6f %.6f %.6f",a,b,c);
}
printf("\n");
}

{I confess that I did the Algol68 in lower case to exasperate the
difference.}

Algol60 was inspired by Fortran, and used BNF - a 1 level grammar - to
define the syntax. Algol68 was inspired by Algol60 but used vW-grammar -
a 2 level grammar - to define syntax.

Algol60, AlgolW, Pascal, Modula and Oberon are defined with BNF and have
a common syntax. Algol68, Prologue are defined with vW-grammar and are
very different.

Basically, there was a significant fork in the Algol language tree.
Can I suggest an Algol60 dialect branch, and a Algol68 dialect branch?

See also: The comprehensive history of the project is C.H. Lindsey's "A
History of ALGOL 68" - http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=155365

And: C.H.A. Koster's "The Making of Algol 68" can be found at
http://www.cs.ru.nl/~kees/home/papers/psi96.pdf

You will see a greater divergence accompanied the syntax divergence.

Enjoy
NevilleDNZ